Thread: Examples Using a Flash or Flashlight for Long Exposures

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Examples Using a Flash or Flashlight for Long Exposures

<p class="MsoNormal"]This is a Cowhorn Agave (Agave bovicornuta) in bloom. Agaves flower once and die (except Spider Agave (Agave bracteosa)). When will they flower? Who knows. Next year, in twenty years, whenever. In this case, 5 years. Which is just as well as the others were killed by Agave Snout Weevils, which have gotten to be bad around these parts.
    In the background in the Mexican Fan Palm (Washingtonia robusta). Not to be confused with the California Fan Palm (Washingtonia filifera), which has a thicker trunk.
    I tried to compensate for the extreme lean of the flower stalk by having the camera out of level on the tripod.
    <p class="MsoNormal"]Canon Eos Digital Rebel XTi, Canon 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 EF-S USM Lens
    Bogen Manfrotto 3021 Tripod/3047 Head
    Canon Speedlite 540EZ Flash (No, that&rsquo;s not a typo. I use it on Manual)
    Pelican Brite Lite Submersible Pro 5000 Series Flashlight

f5.6 13 secondsISO400 f9 30 seconds ISO400
    <p class="MsoNormal"]Flash Mounted on Camera Only Flashlight Only
    <p class="MsoNormal"][img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.24.20/Agave_5F00_bovicornuta_5F00_0003.JPG[/img][img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.24.20/Agave_5F00_bovicornuta_5F00_0007.JPG[/img]

f9 25 secondsISO400 f5.6 30 seconds ISO100

Flashlight Only Handheld flash, hand-triggered from flash-calculated distance

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.24.20/Agave_5F00_bovicornuta_5F00_0008.JPG[/img][img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.24.20/Agave_5F00_bovicornuta_5F00_0013.JPG[/img]

f5.6 30 seconds ISO100

Flashlight Only, with me goofing off more than lighting the subjects

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.24.20/Agave_5F00_bovicornuta_5F00_0012.JPG[/img]

In the flashlight-only shots I would "paint" the subjects up and down with light once, or twice, or three times, etc. And for the flash photos, you do not need to have the flash mounted on the camera to light up subjects in long exposures. Have it mounted to the camera at first, but on Manual. It will pick up the f-stop you are using and calculate the distance from the subject for the given power level. Then remove it and trigger it from the proper distance from the subject. Just make sure no part of you is caught in the shadow of the flash if you are within the frame. Also, notice the effect of large vs small aperture on the streetlight. The small aperture causes a "starburst" effect. The large aperture makes the light source a circular glow.

Re: Examples Using a Flash or Flashlight for Long Exposures

I really like these i did some similar

Re: Examples Using a Flash or Flashlight for Long Exposures

Thanks!