Thread: Strobing!?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Strobing!?

Hey all,

Just clicked purchase on a 580 EX II. Which puts my speedlight count up to two. Anyone have any favorite sites to get good tips on basic off camera strobing technique? I am excited to finally be able to do this.

Thanks in advance.
    5D mark III, 50D, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L ​IS, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8 Macro

Re: Strobing!?

there are a lot of places online. Check out "strobist.blogspot.com", David Ziser.com( he does a lot of wedding with off camera flash), and I just attended a seminar in San Fran by Scott Kelby Training(who has great books on all kinds of photo related stuff) with Joe Mcnally. Joe Mcnally is one of the worlds top photographers. The tour they are doing is Location Lighting Techniques, and all he talks about for 7 hours is just that(granted he's a Nikon D3 user!!). check out his website. And check out Kelbytraining live.com, also. Good luck, Gregg

While I'm quite new to this myself. I believe Joe McNally's <span id="btAsinTitle"]The Moment It Clicks[/i]and<span style="color: #003399;"]The Hot Shoe Diaries.
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

My new favorite "strobist" lighting set up is a 580EX II in a Photek 60" Softlighter II and 580EX II on camera with a ExpoImaging's Ring Flash as the master.

I googled the [url="http://www.photekusa.com/Softlighter.html]Photek 60" Softlighter II[/url]and realy like the looks of it. It's available at both [url="http://www.adorama.com/PTSL60.html]Adorama[/url] and [url="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/75852-REG/]B&amp;H[/url]for <span class="value"]$ 79.95. Seem like a winner to me.

<span class="value"]While ExpoImaging's Ray Flash: The Ring Flash Adapteris interesting I'm thinking about getting an Orbis myself.
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

The Photek Softlighter II is really great. Since it is designed for reverse firing the light is very even. It's catch is almost perfectly round, even better than an Octabox since it has 10 sides. I almost bought a Bowens reverse firing octoboxfor $480 and then I found out about the Photoek's. I liked saving $400, especially with the results I get. They also look and "work" like the modifiers Annie Leibovitz uses lately. Coupled with a low powered ring fill you can get very cool effects.

The Orbis came out after I already had the Rayflash. I like its size better but I think the fact it has to be hand held separate from the camera seems like it will be cumbersome. Not that the Rayflash is perfect but it is attached and you still have all the functions of the flash since it is on the hot shoe.