Thread: advice for 2nd lens

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

advice for 2nd lens

hi guys.. i have my 450d eos cam with 18-200is lens which is included with the kit.. i would love to learn to shoot from portraits and macro.. and telephoto shots also. I enjoyed every shots taken from 18-200is lens but there's something missing in it.. plans to buy the nifty-fifty 50mm f2.8 or the 50mm f1.4.. 'cause it cost less and have good reviews too.. envy also with 17-55mm is usm f2.8.. what would you suggest best for my second lens or any other lens based on your experiences. thanks thanks in advance

Re: advice for 2nd lens

It depends on what range you use the most. If you shoot at around 50mm, a 50mm f/1.4, 50mm f/1.8, and 60mm f/2.8 all have their pros and cons. However, personally, I would want something wider. I own and use the 17-55 f/2.8 IS more than any other lens. However, it sees much more use between 17-35mm than it does between 50-55mm. Figure out what you'll be shooting exactly (and how much room you'll have to shoot that particular subject), then you'll be able to figure out a focal length/range that will best suit your needs.

Re: advice for 2nd lens

Quote Originally Posted by raptor117
    i would love to learn to shoot from portraits and macro..

The most effective and easiest way to shoot macro is with a macro lens (not the cheapest way, though!). But, both the 60mm and the 100mm macro lenses make good portrait lenses as well - on your body, the 100mm will do head-and-shoulders portraits, and the 60mm will do full-body. Personally, I prefer the 85mm f/1.8 for portraits but that won't do macro.

Sean has some great advice for a different approach - look over your photos with the 18-200. That lens is a compromise lens (ok IQ, lots of distortion). Figure out where within that huge range you like to shoot the most, and get a better lens (prime or a high quality zoom with less range) around those focal lengths. You can use your existing lens set to 100mm to see if that focal length will be too long for the kind or portraits you want to take.

Also, if you do want do macro you'll need a good tripod.