Thread: EF300 f/4.0 L USM (older non-IS version)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

EF300 f/4.0 L USM (older non-IS version)

I found a slightly older EF300 F/4.0 L USM for sale locally and picked it up for my daughter. The lens was in great shape and was owned by a photographer for the "other" newpaper across town. I put it on the 1D MK II and the 5D MK II tonight and it appears very sharp and clear.

I do have a question for anyone that owns this lens.

It seems to focus more quicklyfrom about 20' to infinity than it does in close. This doesn't seem to change by adjusting the focus limit switch. It's just slower when it's focusing on closer objects. Is this normal operation for this lens?

Re: EF300 f/4.0 L USM (older non-IS version)

I think that's only normal on the production run that had the defect which, shortly after exhibiting that behavior, makes the lens explode into roughly 255,000 pieces of shrapnel....

You got so screwed. Should have known a guy from the other paper would pull that old trick on you...

Better send it here [:P]

I have this same lens, mine focuses fine in short distances. I found my lens is sharpest at 5.6 and 8.

I shot with the lens quite a lot this weekend and it appears tack sharp. I think it's a keeper even if it does hunt for focus inside 2 meters.

Canon 5D MKII, Canon EF300mm f/4.0 L USM, Av, 1/2500, f/4.0, ISO-200