Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do I really need?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What do I really need?

As something of a thought experiment, you are stranded on an island (tropical, mediterranean, antarctic, temperate) but with a digital camera body and a lens... What would it be? As the sun goes down, would it be a 'standard lens' or something more particular? Are we too consumed with peripheral details of variety in lenses and bodies? I would appreciate any advice and suggestions as to the relevance of early series bodies e.g. 10, 20D and 50mmf1-8 type configurations and their relevance today. Love this forum....

Re: What do I really need?

At the risk of invalidating this thought experiment with prosaic practicality,if "stranded on an island," survival would be my primary concern. The choice of body is irrelevant, but for the lens, I'd want theEF 1200mm f/5.6 L USM Lens - it's got the largest-diameter front element of any Canon lens, which would be useful to signal passing rescue aircraft, and it's 3' length and 36 pound weight would make a useful club to fend off inimical wildlife such as polar bears or Komodo dragons.

[:P]

You might be able to boil some soup in it as well [] What?? If you're small enough you might even get to sleep in it! And due to the white color polar bears might not notice you [:P]

To answer your question: It doesn't really matter I guess. An "old" 10D could do the job with a proper user just as good and probably better then a 1DIV with a *$%@#*using it. (couldn't think of a good word)

To play along with the original question, I would like my good old trusty 7D... it's a new camera but so far I love it. Weather-sealed, takes video, and a great camera all-around. As for a lens? Oddly I would probably say the very lens that I was somewhat denouncing in other posts, the EF 24-105 f/4 L IS USM. I say this because it's a good all-around lens.

I do agree that a long super-telephoto would be best for the rescue idea... but I'm the kind of guy who'd probably take a ton of photos and die all of a sudden because I was busy with my photography and not getting off the island! haha!

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan
    I would like my good old trusty 7D... it's a new camera but so far I love it.

HAHA! And in case you didn't get it let me add emphasis:

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan
    I would like my good old trusty 7D... it's a new camera but so far I love it.

[:P]

Anyway, I would take whatever I had. I think the accessories would be my consideration before setting out to get stranded. I would want some serious protection for the camera to keep it working. Maybe a 1 series and L glass for weather sealing, and a sturdy water-proof housing. (those housings run north of 5k so its not worth putting one on a xxxD or xxD!) anyway, that's my dreaming []

Welcome to the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by malfunctions
    you are stranded on an island but with a digital camera body and a lens... What would it be?

I'd probably go with 1Ds3 + 28-300 L IS.

Are we too consumed with peripheral details of variety in lenses and bodies?

I don't think so.

I would appreciate any advice and suggestions as to the relevance of early series bodies e.g. 10, 20D and 50mmf1-8 type configurations and their relevance today.

I don't understand your comment here. The 10D and 50mm f/1.8 are still "relevant" today, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    I'd want theEF 1200mm f/5.6 L USM Lens
    - it's got the largest-diameter front element of any Canon lens, which
    would be useful to signal passing rescue aircraft, and it's 3' length
    and 36 pound weight would make a useful club to fend off inimical
    wildlife such as polar bears or Komodo dragons.

Awesome post! []

I'd also take the 1200mm. Then I'd gut it and use it as a boat.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

You could use the 1200mm to start a fire. Just point the front element at the sun and put some sticks beneath the rear element. It works every time.

Clearly, many of you guys got stuck on the "digital" part of the question. Youngsters!!!!!. In this situation, if you needed a real photography tool, choose the tried and true F1 film body. You could tie this body on the end of a stick and use it to crack coconuts and pumal baby seals. You could alsouse it to spark a fire----It had realsteel in it). You could also remove the shutter springsand use them for fish hooks. and when all else fails, remove the prism from it, eat some desert island mushrooms and keep yourself entartained until help arrives.

As someone that didn't get into digital photagraphy until the 40D was on its way out, I can't comment on the usefulness 10-30D in this situation.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams
    Clearly, many of you guys got stuck on the "digital" part of the question. Youngsters!!!!!.
    [A]