Thread: Advice on macro set up

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Advice on macro set up

I am very excited to get into macro photography -- but not just little critters and flowers. I am also interested in capturing abstract, colorful shots and plan to create/build such shots indoors, which has the added benefit of allowing me to keep shooting throughout the long Wisconsin winter.

I have a 7D and the following lenses: Tamron 17-50 f2.8, EF 85 f1.8, EF 70-200 L IS f4. I don't need the macro lens to double as anything else. I have the portrait focal lengths pretty well covered.

I have a budget of around $1000 to get completely set up, and I need a new tripod. That obviously limits my lens choices considerably. I am curious about your reaction to the following set up:

1. EF 100mm USM Macro (at $519 on Amazon, seems like a good deal)

2. Phoenix Smart Flash RF46C Macro Ring Flash ($90)

3. Induro AT-214 tripod ($150)

4. RRS BH-30 Ballhead ($275)

5. RRS plate for 7D ($55)

What do you think? Have I forgotten anything?

I am already over budget. [6]

Thanks!

Re: Advice on macro set up

Two suggestions, although budget may be an issue there.

1. Consider a macro focusing rail - that can make the tiny back-and-forth adjustments much, much easier

2. Consider something other than the cheap ring flash - you state an interest in creative shots, and a ring flash isn't too useful there. The lighting from a ring flash like the one you list is completely flat, meaning no shadows or dimensionality. That sort of flash is best suited to documentary photos (medical/dental, a stamp collection, etc.). Canon's more expensive ring flash partly solves the problem by having two flashes with ratio control, but I'd even say skip the flash for now. A macro flash is really helpful for bugs, flowers outside, etc., when things are moving due to biology or wind and you still want deep DoF, so you need lots of light to freeze the motion. If you're doing indoor, static setups you can use continuous lighting and reflectors (a couple of desk lamps, white or colored foam core, etc.), and experiment with that. With a static setup, you can often use long exposures to compensate for the narrow aperture needed for decent DoF.

Have fun!

--John

If you already own an accessory flash, consider a flash bracket and flash cable.

A cheap set on Kenko extension tubes would also be handy.

Sounds like a great tripod head but it chews into the budget.

Perhaps there

To save money, you can consider other lenses. The Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 has a little less working distance, but is optically excellent. You can get a Nikon 55mm f/2.8 from KEH for $100 with a $10 Fotodiox EF adapter. It

@neuroanatomist: The focusing rail is a great idea. I don

Quote Originally Posted by thekingb
    @Daniel: I love what I've read about the EFS 60 f2.8 macro. My concern is the shorter working distance for anything that moves. But a $125 savings is not insignificant..... Hmmm

I once owned the ef-s 60 and sold it. I now have the 100 f/2.8L. The additional working distance is a real plus. On a 7D it gets you 160mm and will be useful if you go FF one day as well. IQ is better too and pars with the 100 you are looking at. On a tripod I love the lens as it is also a great portrait lens where I also found the 60 to be too soft. If it were me I would go with your orignial idea.

Tom

If you are interested in abstract macro photography, you could consider a bellows to increase the distance between your lenses and your camera. With this, all your lenses will become macro lenses. You will have to use a tripod, and spend some time focusing, and work manually with the camera, but the result can be really nice (check my images for a few examples). A bellows should not cost more than 100 €, but is a lot of fun to those that like to experiment and spend time for each shot.