Thread: Used T2i...safe buy?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Used T2i...safe buy?

As mentioned in a previous post, my XS is dead from Er99. I'm thinking given the cost of repairs, I am just going to buy a used T2i when one comes available from Adorama or B&H. Is it generally safe to buy a used body? I don't want to be back in the same situation I'm in now, but I also figure I can take a little depreciation. Thanks in advance.

Re: Used T2i...safe buy?

There
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

I saw that, actually. Only problem is, it comes with the kit lens (don

The main T1i to T2i changes are 15 vs. 18 megapixels, and a useless vs. non-useless video mode. On the T1i video is fully automatic (no ISO, no aperture, no shutterspeed). On every other Canon DSLR with video (though I can't say for sure about the basic T3), you have control in video mode.

Buying used from Adorama is fairly safe. They check out what they sell, and I'm pretty sure they have a return policy (30 or 90 day type deal). Also note that if you buy a refurb from anyone but Adorama, including Canon, your warranty is 90 days.

You can find cheaper used on, say, Craigslist, but you have only the seller's word on how the body has been treated. They might omit that they're selling because they dropped it in a lake last week, and they want to offload it before it stops working entirely.

Regarding used vs. refurbs. You can look at the extra price between the used and refurb model as going towards the warranty, and try to recoup some of the difference by selling the kit lens. Perhaps an XT, XTi, XS owner with a non-IS model would be interested. If you price it low, like $30-$50, I'm sure someone who's using an older kit lens would snap it up, as it is a major upgrade from the old models.

If you don't need the slight resolution boost, and have no interest in video, the T1i is a decent camera.

On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

The used equipment we hold in stock has been purchased from members of the public or could be customer returns / demo models. All used items come with a 90-day warranty, which includes a full 30 days returns period for exchange or refund (the 30-day returns period actually applies to everything we sell!).

Whether or not a used item is thoroughly cleaned and/or serviced prior to being posted on the Adorama website is reflected in the asking price. BTW you can always email me directly to request Additional information about used items, such as the shutter count
    Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
    Helen@adorama.com