Thread: Second off camera flash

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Second off camera flash

Greetings. I'm in the midst of setting up a modest home studio. I got the 7D a few months ago, and am experimenting with the wireless flash control. I'm pleased with the results so far, but I want to add a second off camera flash in addition to my 580EX II. I don't really want to spend the money on a second 580. Any suggestions for a second flash for my wireless setup? I'm considering a used 420EX or 430EX. I'm not looking for super-cheap, but something under $200 that will get the job done for portraits.

Oh, and the lens i'll be using most of the time is the 17-55 2.8 EF-S.

Re: Second off camera flash

I guess it depends on what type of trigger you are using and whether you want to take advantage of ETTL.

You definately want a flash that has manual power control - I've found that's a big disadvantage with my old 420ex in that I can't lower the power on the flash. So I wouldn't suggest the 420 ex for that reason.

Isaw last weekat Adorama that they had a Canon refurbished 430 exII for around $230 so maybe keep an eye out for one of those - they're a great flash.

You don't necessarily have to go with a Canon flash either. There are some great options out there from manufacturers such asCactus (they've replicated the old Vivitar 285 with their KF36 flash) andYongnuo have one that's very cheap and looks fine. (I use their flash triggers and the work really well.

Hope this helps, cheers.

Ben.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Thanks for the suggestions. I'd been leaning toward the 430EX, but waited too long on the Adorama refurb. I've looked at third party flashes, but wasn't sure if they'd work with the 7D's wireless flash control.

And the 580 does get a little cumbersome at times. So having the 430 will be a nice option.

The 580exis a beast!

I'm thinking of getting the 430ex, as well, to use with my 7D and 580ex in a wireless setup. Along with some umbrellas and stands.

Amazon has the 430exII for $255 when it's in stock (says 1 to 4 weeks right now).

Quote Originally Posted by msmiley

The 580exis a beast!

I have the Ray Flash ring light attachment for the 580EXII. You really know you are earning your money after carrying around a 5DmkII with the 24-70 2.8 and the 580EXII and the Ray Flash for a couple hours. Can't imagine what it be like with a 1Ds.

Quote Originally Posted by gbc
    Any suggestions for a second flash for my wireless setup?

I second the 430EX. I use 580EX for key and 430EX for fill or rim.

The nice thing about having a 430EX as second light is it will give you an option for a lighter flash for on camera shots too.