Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 x CUSTOM SETTINGS FOR 7D

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

3 x CUSTOM SETTINGS FOR 7D

I wonder how many posts I am going to initiate over the next 6 months???? Quite a few I reckon!!!!

I am just wondering what 'custom settings' you guys / girls have for your 7D (3 x custom settings on the main dial)??

Obviously after learning a fair bit of information over my previous threads I know I don't need one for B&W as I can do that in post.

I was thinking about having one for a HDR setting but apart from that - I have no idea.

I have my far one set for birds with a fast shutter speed. Flying birds are the few things you really don't have time to adjust for once you see them. I figure I have enough time to pull the camera out and twist the knob as far as I can, I know I'll be in flight mode and ready to shoot. Number 1 is set for HDR stuff with my bracketing set up to take three shots about two stops apart. The second one varies on what I'm doing that day. Hope that gives you an idea anyway before the that vx-thing starts spamming this thread.

Actually, I don't. Never have, and haven't bothered investigating.
    Although, I think I should, having a bird/macro/hdr setting ready to go sounds nice...

Don't forget. The good/bad thing about those three setting is if you ever tweak something, it will revert back to what it was programmed for before you realize it. It's a love/hate thing.

Hi, I use them frequently, but I don't use permanent settings for C1-C3. I change them from one session to the other. I ususally think of them as C1 for still subjects and C3 for the fastest action liekly to happen on a particular photosession. E.g. a day by the sea I store a typical landscape setting under C1 and maybe a bird in flight-setting under C3. Another day I may store a setting for an audience overview at a sports event under C1, a player portrait setting under C2 and the action setting under C3. Be careful with custom settings that lock the exposure (M mode with fixed ISO) - you will likely adjust e.g. shutter speed for correct exposure, but if you don't shoot for a while the camera will revert to the stored setting.

I think they're a great feature. As pointed out above, if the camera goes to sleep (or if you change modes then change back), any changes you made to the custom mode revert - unless you re-register the setting. The 1D X actually has an option to automatically re-register as you change settings.

The other thing to remember is that you cannot change the base mode of a C setting, meaning if you initially register C2 from Av mode, you can change almost anything and re-register, but you cannot change C2 to be based on Tv or M mode without starting from scratch.

For me, C1 is tripod shots, C2 is birds/wildlife (usually in trees/thickets), C3 is birds in flight - same reason as andnowimbroke, and it's C3 because it's fastest to just twist the mode dial to the hard stop when a bird flys by.

More than just exposure settings are stored - other settings, including custom functions, are part of the registered settings.

Here are mine for the 7D, in detail. All RAW+L.

• C1, tripod shots: Av mode, ISO100, f/8, single point AF (center), evaluative metering, One Shot, 2sec timer/remote, mirror lockup enabled (C.Fn III-13).
    • C2, birds/wildlife: Av mode, ISO Auto, f/wide (I set it with the 85mm f/1.2L II @ 1.2, so every lens I mount defaults to it's widest aperture), spot AF (center), spot metering, AI Focus, high speed drive
    • C3, BIF: M mode, 1/2000, f/6.3, ISO Auto, AF Point Expansion, evaluative metering, AI Servo, high speed drive; for this one I also set up the AF C.Fn's - the ones I changed from default are C.FnIII-1, slow and C.FnIII-3, Continuous AF tracking priority.

I use C1 and C2 for HDR bracketing - C1 at -2, 0, +2 and C2 at -1, 0, +1. Although it duplicates the EV 0 shot, this makes it pretty quick and easy to get a 5 shot HDR. C3 is for BIF like others, although I can't tell you how many times I forget the simple act of twisting the dial to C3!

I don't use them. I suppose they are a good idea and sound functional, but for me, its just one more thing to remember.
    Bob

When I was still using the 7D I considered many times using the settings on the knob, but just never did. If I were going to use the custom settings it would have been to change between AF modes quickly. Usually when you need AI servo mode it seems you are usually in “One Spot” mode.

Now with the 1D IV there is no knob on top to make these changes. When you go to the “mode” button there is no choice for “auto” and there are no options for pre selected settings. I am sure there is probably a way to set your own settings, but I haven’t found the need for it yet. I shoot almost exclusively in “manual” mode now.

The important settings that vary regularly I log them in to “my menu settings” so I can change them quickly. Right now I have white balance, highlight tone priority, live view, bracketing and format.

More important with the 7D but less important with the 1D IV is “One Shot” and “AI Servo” mode. With the 7D I always saw a noticeable difference between the two modes when it came to getting sharp crisp shots of static objects. With the 1D IV there is almost no difference, and the only reason I usually want “One Shot” is so I can utilize “Spot AF”. All the times I considered custom settings with the 7D they were always AF related reasons.

Hi Team

Just a quick question.

Is there a way to change how long the rear menu is displayed on the 7d after you hit the 'Q' button.

If I don't touch any buttons, mine only stays on for about 8 seconds. Is this a default setting that can be changed or is it a fixed time setting