Thread: 35mm vs. 50mm & 50mm vs. 85mm

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

35mm vs. 50mm & 50mm vs. 85mm

Hello everyone,

I have been reading your posts for some time and have picked up quite a bit. Thanks for that.

My question concerns prime lenses. I have read many places that the 35mm, 50mm and 85mm lenses are very valuable. I understand the usefulness of wide apertures for low light and great D.O.F. Are you looking for those exact focal lengths or in the area? The reason I ask is because I use a cropped sensor and if I were to want a 50mm focal length I would most likely go for the 35mm f/2 (or something like it) for a 1.6x conversion of 56mm. Like wise if I wanted an 85mm I would go for the 50mm f/1.4 to get 80mm. I figure I would use them for general photography including low light. Are you recommending the 50mm and 85mm because of the particular lenses or because of the benefits of the focal lengths?

Thanks,

Brett
    Brett

Re: 35mm vs. 50mm & 50mm vs. 85mm

Quote Originally Posted by LDH01
    Are you recommending the 50mm and 85mm because of the particular lenses or because of the benefits of the focal lengths?

Our recommendations are usually based on both. First and foremost, you'll need to know what focal length your particular needs require. Both the 50mm and 85mm lenses are almost useless in tight quarters. In fact, I've found the 35 f/2 to be a bit tight indoors at times--but to me, it's more certainly more useful in those situations. However, the 35mm f/2's build quality is terrible in comparison to, let's say, the 85mm f/1.8. Therefore, if an 85mm lens would suit your needs the same as or better than a 35mm lens, you'd be a fool to purchase the 35mm f/2.

I own the 35mm f/2, the 50mm f/1.4, and the 85mm f/1.8. While I find that the 85mm f/1.8 turns out better image quality, its focal length is less useful to me than the 50mm f/1.4. The 35mm focal length is probably most useful to me, but the image and build qualities lead me to use the 50mm lens whenever I can get away with it. So, for my needs, the 50mm f/1.4 is the best compromise of the three lenses--and therefore gets used the most.

Quote Originally Posted by LDH01
    Are you recommending the 50mm and 85mm because of the particular lenses or because of the benefits of the focal lengths?

Hi Brett,

My recommendations are usually based on a combination of the two, but weighted heavily toward focal length. That makes sense - for example, if you're taking a pictures inside a 10x12 foot room with a 1.6x body, the best 85mm lens will not allow you to take a group shot. There's a pretty substantial difference between 50mm and 85mm. On a crop body, 35-50mm is good for full body portraits, for example, while 85mm is good for tight portraits (head shots, etc.).

So if you want a prime for the wide aperture, how do you choose the focal length? If you have a zoom covering that range, shoot with it set to various lengths, or look back over your EXIF data to see where your shots were taken. Else, guess based on comparisons to lenses you do have, or rent a lens if you like.

As a general rule, decide which focal length(s) you want/need, then get the best quality lens at the chosen focal length(s) that your budget permits. There are some nuances in there - for example, the 35mm f/2 is not the best quality (optically or build), the 50mm f/1.4 is pretty good for both, and the 85mm f/1.8 is excellent for IQ and very good for build.

Hope that helps...

--John

Well said Neuro.

Thanks John and Sean.

What you have said does make sense. Just like every lens purchase I will need to weigh out it
    Brett

My primary camera is a Canon 7D; my backup is a 50D. Both are crop sensors.

And, speaking of the 50mm f/1.4, I used it Thurs night for this shot:

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/8/3583.IMG_5F00_9318_5F00_small.jpg[/img]

Sean,

Looks sharp. Good example. Especially due to the fact that a 7D is top of my Wish List.

Brett
    Brett