Thread: Strobing First Tries

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Strobing First Tries

First Strobist attempt. Shot all quick style after school a few days ago. My lighting kit came a few days ago and I honestly don't think I've left home without cause you never know who might want a portrait taken with off camera flash? haha. I know there are plenty of things "wrong" with this, like no ambient/flash balance, but it was a spur of the moment shot taken with totally new gear to me. Give me time, I'll learn haha. I believe it was a 430 EXII at 1/4 power shot through a Wescot 43" white satin umbrella. Triggered via Cactus V2s system. Camera left and above subject.

Oh I also was just given an old macbook with LR 2 and CS4. A huge advance from DPP and CS1 haha. I got alottt of learning ahead of me. (If only I went after school work with the same drive as photography.. *sigh*)

Re: Strobing First Tries

I really like it! The flash is optimally positioned as both cheeks are well illuminated. I'd adjust the color balance to make it a bit warmer (actually, I'm not sure absolutely sure about that--I'm viewing this from my girlfriend's laptop and it shows everything a bit cooler than it should in my opinion), but other than that I think it's a very good shot.

I kind of astonsihed you carry that much gear with you everywhere. The best gear is the gear you have with you

I'd work on composition.

Quote Originally Posted by crosbyharbison
    I kind of astonsihed you carry that much gear with you everywhere.

I exaggerated a bitt lol

But my mom teaches at the school I go to, so it's no hassle to throw a camera bag and a light bag in the trunk of the car.

I agree, composition could use some work.

Thanks for the replies and insight guys!

-Rodger

I like it. For a first attempt it is great. Much better than my first attempt. It would be great to get her looking at you for some catch lights.

Mark
    Mark

Hi good start

Few things , main is that is looks a little
    flat ..bump you levels a touch and the black hair blends into the
    shoulder/background and teh catch lights

AL