Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Flash

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New Flash

After seeing all the great pictures on here with different lighting techniques, I've finally been inspired to getting into flash photography! I just ordered a new 580II from B&H and can't wait for it to get here! I've never done any flash photography so it is very new to me and I'll likely have lots of questions for all you strobist guru's out there!

Still haven't decided on what type of wireless triggers to go with yet, but I'm leaning towards cybersyncs. Any comments or suggestions?

Stephen

Re: New Flash

Hi Stephen,

I recently started flash photography myself and although I still have lots to learn, I am really enjoying it! There is no better place to learn all there is to know about flash photography then from the guys here at the TDP!! From their own knowledge & the links they will provide for further reading on equipment & set-up, you will be very well informed!

Cybersyncs are a great choice but when I first started, Sean provided me witha very helpful shopping list that kept me well within my budget and for the wireless triggers using a 580EX II, he suggested the RF-602 off of ebay. They have worked great for me and with the money I saved, I was able to purchase a used 430EX II. Since then I have purchased yet another 430 EX II and an additional receiver.

http://stores.ebay.com/jianisi-equipment__W0QQ_sidZ965159926?_nkw=RF602+RF-602+for+Canon+5D+5DII+50D+40D+with+2+receivers&amp ;submit=Search

I hope this info helps & welcome to flash photography!! I look forward to seeing future photos using your new flash!!

Denise

+1 to the RF-602s
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

Thanks for the input everyone!

Denise: I was looking at the RF602, these seem like they fit the bill, but the posting dosn't list the XSi as one of the compatible cameras. I wouldn't think this should be a problem but I guess I should make sure. HOw does the transmitter attach to the camera? Does it mount to the hot shoe? Is the build quality good? Do they work fairly reliably?It's not critical since I don't do any professional work, I just imagine it would be quite annoying to have a flash that doesn't always fire when it should.

TucsonTRD: I've already been on the speedliting website, thats one of the main reasons I stuck with a canon brand flash. As for trying wired flash first, I considered this and thought that I wouldn't want to have to string wires around for people to trip over. Also, I intend to get a second flash in short order and wasn't sure if two of camera flashes would work with a wired setup.

Sean: I took a look at the RadioPoppers and they seem to be pretty good. How does the Cube thing work? Does it just allow you to adjust the manual output of the flash without having to walk over to the flash everytime? That could come in handy! Could you adust the power of two remote flashes separately?

Also, as I mentioned already, I use an XSi and I have a 580II on the way. How do each of these systems connect to my camera and flash? Are most hotshoe mounted or will I have to get some sort of adapter?

Stephen

Hi Sephen,

Yes, it slides right onto the hotshoe and they have been extremely reliable! Only one time did one not fire (picture posted under current assignment) and that was do to operator error! [:P]

I am an extreme newbie at this so if I can get it all to work ...anybody can! I am just doing this as a hobby myself and with just starting out, I did not want to spend more than I had to. I was very happy to sink the $ into more lights instead.

I never used anything else so I do not know how they compare but I do know theRF-602's work for me with my 7D and they are made very well also. I just bought another receiver about 2 wks ago for the light I just bought.

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by NFLD Stephen
    Sean: I took a look at the RadioPoppers and they seem to be pretty good. How does the Cube thing work? Does it just allow you to adjust the manual output of the flash without having to walk over to the flash everytime? That could come in handy! Could you adust the power of two remote flashes separately?

The RP Cube is a hotshoe that you place on the bottom of your off-camera TTL-enabled strobe (like the 580EX and 430EX). The cube allows you to manually adjust the flash output from your camera (with the Radiopopper JrX transmitter on top of it). So yes, you can control the flash output by turning the knobs on the camera-mounted transmitter instead of having to walk over to the flash.

I was looking at the RF602, these seem like they fit the bill, but the posting dosn't list the XSi as one of the compatible cameras.
    Around the world the XSi is more comonly called the 450D. Check <span class="mbg-nw"][url="http://stores.ebay.com/hkyongnuophotoequipment]hkyongnuophotoequipment[/url]they have them listed both ways.

<span class="mbg-nw"](As long as it's for Canon the only difference is the trigger cable you would use if you used it as a shutter release trigger.)

T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

Here you go - I'll second the RF-602's. Working well for me.

http://community.the-digital-picture.com/forums/p/3441/28509.aspx#28509

Ben
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Thanks again everyone for the input!

Great review Ben. I'm still undecided though; I am impressed bythe RF-602's but I think that the ability to adjust flash output remotely with the radiopoppers is definately a good thing to have!

My new flash is supposed to arrive tomorrow (yea!) so I'll probably spend a week or so with it on-camera in manual mode to get the feel for it. Depending on how that goes, I'll have to make the decision on whether remote adjustibility is worth the extra $$. Decisions, decisions....

Stephen

Still haven't decided on what type of wireless triggers to go with yet, but I'm leaning towards cybersyncs. Any comments or suggestions?
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Check out this website, there is a ton of good info and I like his philosophy (learn wired flash photography before trying wireless). I too am brand new to flash photography.