Issue: Unread forumposts

Hey there.

I always start this site by the following way:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	forum.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	185.1 KB 
ID:	1206

I don't know where it goes wrong, but for some reason the forum marks some of the threads as being read. While I had never read them.
    In my screenshot for example I have not read: "Image Capture - A very cool macro", the For sale threads and quite a few others.
    Is anyone else experiencing this? I seem to have missed quite a few things this way

It appears like that for me also. What I've been doing is clicking on the what's new tab at the top and it usually gives me stuff that has been posted since I was last on the site. I do miss some stuff I have noticed, but it does a pretty good job.

Then again maybe not, because I have read everything and it shows some unread now.

You mean catagories, not posts right? I think the catagories are tied to the "whats new" thread as well. If there are no posts within the last 24 hours, or if you have read the new posts it will show the catagory as read.

The posts get counted as read if you visit the forum section. It does remember which specific threads are read for something like half an hour, after that it just considers everything read. I find it annoying, as sometimes I get dragged away from the computer before reading all the new posts, and when I come back I have to manually check the timestamps on the threads to figure out what's new.

Another observation, if you have read a category, when a new post appears it will appear as the category is unread. If you read the new post through "New Posts" the category will still read unread. If you view the new post by clicking on the category then the category will show read. So I think the category is showing read because you access the category, not because you read the posts within. I know I have very old unread posts in several catagories, but they show read.

Oh, this seems to be a little bit more difficult then I was expecting. I was hoping to be a single case on this one.
    To be honest, I don't like the "what's new" approach. I like the organised categories menu. But I do miss quite a few posts the way it acts now.

what I do- out of habit from using other forums, is from the main page (your screenshot) I visit a thread read it then use the back arrow to return to the main page.
    This allows me to see all the new posts without missing one I am interested in.

Then I return to posts that I would like to add my comment or share an image.

When I try, I don't really see any difference between the "What's new?" and new post. In both cases, I end up with a list of threads that contain new posts and not the categories. What difference am I suppose to see?

Also, for what it's worth, the threads are marked as read only if I navigate to its latest page.