Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Camera and lens selection help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Camera and lens selection help

I am trying to decide on camera/lens purchase here

Currently I am looking at the 7d with either the 17-55mm 2.8 or the 24-105mm 4.0. My main issue with the 17-55 is build quality and I cannot use when I upgrade to 5D. Which I plan to buy the Mark II when the Mark III comes out (great price reduction)

Indoor shooting is really just family pictures/kids etc some portraits. Outdoor I shoot landscape, street, portraits etc.

Also,
    just to mention, I can buy the 7D now at normal retail or I have the option to buy the 5D at cost +7%. Should I just get the 5D now?

Whether you buy the 7D or 5D II depends on what you are going to do with it. For still objects IMO the 5D II is the better camera. The 7D is a better action camera. We had this discussion in another thread just the other day. You might be able to glean some good information out of it. Personally for what you listed so far, I would go with the 5D II now.

Here is the thread:

http://community.the-digital-picture...ead.php?t=5332

If you are going to do much indoor work with the 24-105mm you are going to need a flash for the 5D II as well.

Welcome to the TDP forums!

Honestly, I'd get the 5DII + 24-105mm kit now.

For the 7D, I'd really recommend the 17-55mm over the 24-105mm - the latter leaves you without a wide angle, and 24mm on a 7D is often too narrow indoors and not optimal for landscape, either. Also, the time to buy a 24-105mm lens is when you're buying a 5DII, hard to beat the $800 kit price for the lens!

IMO, the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS is the best general purpose zoom for APS-C, but the 24-105mm on FF is better. The FF equivalent of the 17-55mm would be a hypothetical 27-88mm f/4.5 lens. Thus, on the 5DII the 24-105mm f/4L IS is wider, longer, faster, and still has IS.

I'm inclined to agree on the 5D, I'll go that route. One question, what about the D700? Assuming you were starting from scratch

Quote Originally Posted by drizzit View Post
    I'm inclined to agree on the 5D, I'll go that route. One question, what about the D700? Assuming you were starting from scratch
    Most of us here are Canon people; I think the responses you get may be biased. This is the age old question and it used to be do you drive a Chevy or Ford. I went with Canon because of problems I had over the years with Nikon products.

It is an important decision, because it tends to lock you in to that one product. There are allot of people using Nikon and getting good results.
    Last edited by HDNitehawk; 11-22-2011 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    Most of us are Canon people; I think the responses you get may be biased. This is the age old question and it used to be Chevy or ford. I went with Canon because of problems I had over the years with Nikon products.

It is an important decision, because it tends to lock you in to that one product.
    You know, come to think about it, I've owned a Dodge, Buick, Chevy, and now I currently drive a Ford....but I've been with Canon ever since my first DSLR purchase. So, you could say that the camera brand you sink your first [relatively small] investment in will likely be the one you're still investing in many years down the road.

I'm pretty sure the Canon and Nikon companies both know this, considering how much effort and new technology they put into their low-priced, entry level DSLRs...

And don't forget to consider a good strap like the R-Strap from Black Rapid (www.blackrapid.com). It's so much easier than lugging around your gear using the provided neck strap.

The d700 is a beautiful camera, but before buying either/any, grab one and feel it. I loved the 300, but hated how it felt. I wanted more controls and knobs, but not at the expense of a crappy shutter button angle. If you do think about going nikon, look at the lens choice and make sure they have what you want in a price you can afford.

Both Amazon.com and B&H have the 5DII + 24-105mm kit for $3049. I'd jump on that price right now, since that's the cheapest I've ever seen that kit. At that price you're getting a brand new 5DII for $2000, which is around what they go for used on eBay. I think you'll be very happy with the 24-105mm on the 5DII. It's the lens I use most often for landscapes, and will work great for portraits and indoor shooting because of the IS.

Make sure to click the links from this site before buying so Bryan gets some cash to help keep it going!
    Last edited by Trowski; 11-23-2011 at 12:21 AM.

Is it potentially worth ordering from Canada? Lots of retailers with it for $2799.

Link (Photoprice.ca)