Thread: Replace stock 18-55

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Replace stock 18-55

Hi everybody

me again. After trying out my new Canon 70-300 I have decided that I have to replace the old sock 17-55 with a better one, even the same but with IS.

Looking at prices, I can find a reasonably priced 17-85 but I am a little concerned of its performances at 17mm which seems poor. The 18-105 seems too overlapped with the 70-300 and a little over budget.

I'd appreciate a second thought on the matter!

Thanks!
    Tony

Which 18-55 do you have? All the ones created since the XSi (circa 2008) have IS with auto tripod and panning detection built in, and vastly improved optics over the non-IS models.

The 17-55 (not 18-55) has a nice wide f/2.8 aperture and is many people's choice for a crop sensor general purpose lens, but I'm guessing it's out of your price range, based on the purchase of the 70-300 non-L. I agree that the 17-85mm appears to have poor optics (based on reviews and charts). The 15-85 is supposed to be quite nice, and has IS, and gives you some extra room on both the wide and tele ends.

Keeping to the frugal budget, you can save a bit if you check B&H and Adorama's used sites. Using B&H or Adorama takes the risk out of buying used, as they check and rate the lenses, and accept returns, etc. Adorama has a 15-85mm, rated E+ (highest rating) for $499, and a D (Demo model) for $519, or $699 used (after $100 Mail-in rebate). B&H also has stock, but they're priced higher (but perhaps worth it to Canadians, for the cheaper shipping, and tax pre-pay options).
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Hello David,

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.
    My 18-55 is the non IS one, bought with my 400D many years ago. So yes, pretty old. I am happy to replace it with the current 18-55 IS if it's worth. The budged needed would be small.

As you guessed, the 17-55 is out of my budget unfortunately. The 15-85 is out of range too unfortunately. Let's say my price range now is tiny, below £150. I know it's not much but at this time this is what I would like to invest on an extra lens.

Maybe I shall go for the newest 18-55 IS, or look for non-canon alternatives?

I am not sure if I am comparing the correct lenses or not, but TDP has some great tools to compare lenses. Here is a comparison of the latest 18-55 kit lens versus the last one I could find without IS

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...mp=0&APIComp=0

Here is Bryan's review of it. Compared to the latest kit lens. Just on Bryan's "Star Ratings" for each lens, I would say it is worth the jump. Having IS may boost your keeper rate. For the money, my understanding has been that the 18-55 STM is a very good value.

But, my first lens was the EFS 15-85. There are times where I still miss it as it had an incredible focal length range for a walk around lens with great optics. Excellent lens.

Thanks David,

I eventually read the pre-review of the VC version of the Tamron 17-50 and yes, you're correct.

If nobody has a better idea, I think I'll go for the 18-55 IS STM, then I'll see what happens. I need to find one first!

Thanks, I've read the two reviews.
    I'd still like to get something slightly better, but it seems that there is a gap in price between the stock lens and the first 'decent' lens available, as your old 15-85.

The only one which I may consider at this time would be the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II VC Lens. Bryan has reviewed the non-vc version and awarded it with 5 stars, not sure of the VC version. To be honest, I'd love to have a stabilized version - one of the reasons why I'd like to replace my stock lens.

Maybe I shall begin with the 18-55 STM IS and move from there?
    Last edited by tony359; 08-25-2014 at 03:51 PM.

The 18-55mm IS can be a good lens. The one I got with my T1i (500D) was very sharp, it just needed a fair bit of light. Others have had worse impression of it, so perhaps I just got lucky. You're already used to the variable aperture from your existing lens. If you're fine with the 18-55mm's variable aperture and resulting shutter speeds, then yes, grab one of the newer ones. They vastly improved the optics when they added IS. The even newer ones may have even more improvements.

The Tamron 17-50 VC was noticeably softer than the non-VC one, which is why people only recommend the non-VC.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L