Thread: 5D MK II replacement

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

5D MK II replacement

I'm just interested to know if anyone know and or have a guess when the replacement of the 5D MK II is (this year ?) and what will be new. [:P]
    Wally Bouw Flickr Vimeo

Re: 5D MK II replacement

It will be replaced between September 2010 and March 2011 IMO. What will be new – better autofocus, even better low-light performance, faster frame rate (maybe 5fps), maybe more Mpix.

brendan

Quote Originally Posted by bouwy
    Anyone know and or have a guess when the replacement of the 5D MK II is (this year ?)
    Those who know aren't telling. Those who are telling don't know. []

Actually, Canon's release schedules can be easy to predict sometimes. Look at the 300D series:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Canon_DSLR_cameras

The first three came at exactly every 18 months, like clockwork. With the 450D Canon switched to every 12 months, like clockwork. That's why the release of the 550D was so obvious and easy to predict.

But for other model lines, Canon is not quite so consistent. As for the 5D series, we only have two cameras to go on. It was 36 months between the 5D and 5D2, so if Canon sticks to that it would mean another 1.5 years before the 5D3.

We've been given one interesting indicator of the timeline in this case. Canon, for the first time ever, announced that they were working on a free firmware update for the 5D2 6-9 months in advance:

http://www.canon-europe.com/About_Us/Press_Centre/Press_Releases/Consumer_News/Cameras_Accessories/EOS_5D_MarkII_Media_Alert.asp

If a 5D3 was coming soon, such as summer or fall 2010, I would not have expected them to make such an announcement or go through the work of adding features to the firmware. An improved 5D2 would only reduce sales of the 5D3.

So my guess is that it will come one year from now (Feb 2011). I also wouldn't be surprised if Canon went with the 3-year duration before the 5D3, either. Then again, I think the sales of the 5D2 were far higher than they expected, so they may want to shorten the schedule to 2 or 2.5 years take advantage of increased upgrade churn revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by bouwy
    what will be new?
    Here's my guess:

• 36 MP
    • Improved low light performance
    • Same low-end autofocus as the Canon 600D (when it comes out)
    • 4 FPS
    • Improved video performance

Obviously I don't really have any clue. []

I think Dan has the timing as "right" as it can be guessed.

For my money, the 5DMKIII would have to offer something really SPECTACULAR to warrant an upgrade from the 5DMKII. I do a lot of portrait work and shoot a fair amount of weddings, and I haven't found myself asking for any additional features.

If Canon's listening in and trying to decide what would spark my interest, they shouldn't focus on another increase in resolution. Imight be motivated bya big jump in high ISO performance, but only if i can actually use it for enlargements. The images from the 1DMKIV don't give me the impression ISO-100,000 isusable...

Regarding the common question of "Has any one heard ofa new Canon lens (body)?" The answer is "those who knowdon't telland those who tell don't know". My adviceto you is that if you need a lens or a camera, you should get whatever available now. Remember our ultimate goals as photographers are capturing the momments, reserving memories and creating arts. Get that camera or lens now and start shooting, if you wait for that lens which may or may not be made you will miss all of the opportunities.

I was hoping to have seen peety3 slam the rumor post by now!

I imagine the 5DIII would focus heavily on AF improvements and noise patterns. I wouldn't expect it this year either. There still hasn't been a 1DsIV announced yet.

I won't speculate on when or what. But I can say what I *want*, and that is a full frame camera with a high end autofocus for less than $5000.

Unless Canon changes their strategy, though, I don't think I'm going to get it. (Oops... I speculated. It's *so* hard to resist...)

Maybe I *should* switch to Nikon []