Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about the 600ex-rt flash

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question about the 600ex-rt flash

Is there a reason not to buy the new fancy flash? I've seen it for $450, and even right now amazon has it for $472 shipped. Not that I'm complaining. I just thought it was going to take longer to go down in price. I know I'm not getting everything when using it with an older camera (for now anyway). Just asking for reasons to spend money I don't have.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

I saw it for $499 at B&H earlier and was tempted by that. As an add-on question, what do people think about replacing the 580 EX II flash with the 600 as I am considering at these prices? Is the additional range and RT worth it? Are there any other benefits to the 600 over the 580 II?

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Is the additional range and RT worth it? Are there any other benefits to the 600 over the 580 II?
    Except for the benefit you will get from zooming to 200mm the 600 and 580 have pretty much the same power. The RT is what really sets it apart. Of course you'll need either an ST-E3 or 2nd 600 to benefit from that though. The UI is way better than the 580 too. The LCD panel is fantastic. I have 3 600s and an ST-E3. Click here to see how I was getting consistent fires at 400+ feet.

Just ordered my third 600EX-RT.

If you have a 5DIII, it covers the outer AF points at wider angles. The extra zoom comes in hands sometimes, too.

But the RT system is the best part, particularly if you use modifiers. No angling things for the sensor to face the on-camera transmitter. It's quite easy to use, too.

Just picked up my second one and have the ste3rt on order should be here any day. Sounds simple and effective to use hopefully increase creativity level a bit as well.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

I got the ST-E3-RT back in March to go along with my 600EX-RT because I could no longer control it wirelessly with my 6D like I did with the 60D (which was over optical). The step up to radio has been amazing. Not having the limitation of line of sight has been a substation upgrade for me. I see myself easily acquiring a few more.
    Patrick

The official word from Canon is that you lose a stop from Xsync with pre-2012 bodies when using RT triggering. Word from users is that it's a 'soft' limit - you only see the shutter in a small percentage of shots at the normal camera Xsync. So...perhaps not a big hit in functionality from a practical standpoint.

From Syl Arena's Blog: Click here to read his full review

Sync Speeds — I shot at all sync speeds, up to 1/8000″ in High-Speed Sync, on both my 5DM2 and my 60D. I used both a 600EX-RT Speedlite and the ST-E3-RT transmitter to trigger. In hundreds of frames over the past week, I have not had one sync issue. The manual says that on pre-2012 cameras (anything other than 1D X and 5DM3), the system takes a one-stop hit in sync speed and that HSS is not possible. This will be an interesting area to watch as others begin to use the gear.

Just a note on the 600 EX RT

Great flash, same relative power of the 580 EX II

I made the change for the RT and for the GROUPS feature.

Let me also say that the flash head is slightly larger than the 580 EXII so you will need to update all your modifiers and diffusers,and possibly your ring flash attachment.

Back to the GROUPS function. You can set up to five groups (can have multiple flashes in each group), what is exciting here for me is that the groups can be individually set to ETTL or Manual from the MASTER.
    BE WARNED: THE GROUP FUNCTION WILL ONLY WORK WITH THE 5DIII OR 1DX, NOTHING OLDER WILL SUPPOR THE GROUP FUNCTION.

I also note the price drop but let it be known that this is not a negative reflection on the unit.

I was VERY please to trade out my old flash trigger systems.

Check out these from SYL ARENA

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/...lite_system.do

http://pixsylated.com/blog/video-can...e3-transmitter

Thanks

Re: Question about the 600ex-rt flash

Kinda what I was thinking/hoping. Just didn't think the price would drop so quickly and so low. Glad to here all is well. I've been trying to watch Syl's stuff (which is on YouTube now) as well as other folks. Can't wait for cheat codes to pop up for older model cameras.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.