Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue Angels air show at Pease AFB, NH

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Blue Angels air show at Pease AFB, NH

I spent a long day yesterday, Saturday the 28th, photographing the air show. We left the house at 630am and got back to the house at 715pm....a 3 hour drive home that normally takes 35 minutes. Yes, it was worth it.

Some tough shooting....the later the day became, the more the sun was directly in front of us.

7D, 100-400 at 220mm, Tv, f7.1, 1/1000, ISO 400, exposure bias +.7, 345p shooting WNW

100-400 at 400mm, Tv, ISO 400, 1/1000, f/10, exposure bias +1, 1258p, WNW

C&C welcome

Re: Blue Angels air show at Pease AFB, NH

The shot of the F-18 (?) is really good. Like the angle because you can see the thrusters and the cockpit and the air disturbance all in one shot. Nicely done!
    R6 II --- RF 14-35mm f/4L IS --- RF 24-105mm f/4L IS --- RF 100-400mm F5.6-8 IS
    70D --- EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 --- EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS --- EF 70-200mm f/4L IS --- EF 85mm f/1.8

Glad you liked the shot Alex and yes it is an F18.....you pointed out the same reasons I chose to post the shot.

Here's another, but ofa bi-plane....obviously. LOL

7D, 100-400 at 400, ISO 200, 1/160, f14

Bill, Great shots---Love the first the most, but all are really good. Sure wish they would have an air show here in Albuquerque--But nothing on the schedule that I can see. Again, Great Job.

Bob

Bob

Hi Bill:

Nice captures. Really like the Angles. Do you have any other shots of them you would like to share?

Thanks

Godspeed

Wayne

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"]</input><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden" />
    <div id="refHTML"]</div>

hi bill,

nice picts i spent all day wed at atlantic city air show this past week and we hade even worse conditions it was gray overcast and very cloudy. most of my pict were very dark or washed out but i did get a few good ones. rod

Hi Bill,

Wow, it sounds like a really long, exhausting day. But, I'm sure it was all worth it.

I love the composition of the Blue Angels shot. There just seems like there is a bit too much noise or loss of resolution. I would try to open up the Lens a few stops and then decrease the ISO from 400 to 100. If necessary 1/800sec. also works with the blue angels if you need to get the ISO down. Also, the color of the lettering on the planes, looks a little orange on my screen and it should be yellow.

The F18 is a great shot. I love the Vapor and the Glow of the Jet Engines. I also like how you left some room on the left side of the frame, in order for the plane to fly into.

Regarding, the Oracle Bi-Plane; I love the contrast of the red, white, and blue colors. There is also a small amount of motion blur, or OOF blur on the lettering of the plane. It's difficult to get some prop blur without getting some motion blur. I would open up the aperture a few stops to around f/8 or even f/6 in order to achieve a faster AF and an ISO of 100. I would also try a slightly faster shutter speed, as I've seen this guy fly, and he's a maniac. You will still get some nice prop blur at 1/500sec, while freezing the plane.

Rich

Hello Rod and welcome to the group....we had the same wx here last week (it cleared Thursday). In fact we canceled our trip to Westfield Ma to see the Thunderbirds on Sunday (22nd) because of the overcast/rain....just wasn't worth the (w/out traffic) 2 hour drive.

Bob...thanks glad you liked, but don't be too envious, you have your great balloon festival coming up in a couple of weeks.

Wayne...thanks for the compliments. I'll post some more Blue Angels for ya a little later.

Rich....thanks for the C&amp;C; I've addedyour suggestions (props&amp; jets)into my notebook to try at my next air show (Edwards?). In regards to the colors, I'venoticed when transferring my images (not all)to flickr thatthe originalcolors sometimes have minor changes; e.g. the yellow on the lettering and the sky seems to have somemagenta added....on my monitor.

I'm suspecting it isbeing caused by time of day and the location of the light when I shoot, i.e. when the sun isdirectly or angledbehind me the colors are maintained, but when I'm forced to shootangledinto the sun (as w/the Blue Angel shots) I havethe fluctuation in colors on transfer. This is just a hunch on my part, not a Q.E.D. []

You're right aboutSean Tucker'sflying....he puts onan amazing show, as did Mike Goulian (Red Bull participant/ASB.TV/Lawrence MA Airport) a local guy from the next town over from me....yup, some bias there.

But, IMHO, the singular flights of the F15, 16 and 18 stole the show....just jaw dropping amazing.

Once again folks thanks for your input.....

Bill

Well after going thru my Blue Angels pictures, I fully understand why all the experts say shootin the "golden" light portions of the day.

It's really too bad the Blue Angels took off a 315p and the spectators (photographers) had to watch their routine looking into the sun.

The IQ isn't the greatest, but I sure do like theimage. I'm not putting in the EXIF, for in no way doyou want to be shooting like this.

This shot below was taken as#1 was flying behind us to set up for the next pass. What a difference it makes to have the sun behind you.

100-400 at 260mm, ISO 400, f5.6, 1/1000th

Enjoy Wayne, this will be the last posting of a Blue Angels pic.

Thanks again for viewing and the comments folks....

Alan

Shooting in the "golden" light....HA! We would do that, IF the Blue Angels would FLY in the golden light, but like you pointed out, it's after 3 p.m. Exposure is challenging, to be sure. I wish they would do a morning show with them.

I was at an air show, and it could have been "golden" light when they flew. The sun was perfectly oriented for the direction of the runway. Alas, it wasn't to be. As you know, these guys finish up the air show, being the finale. On the horizon, the clouds and storms started moving in. The announcer told us that the crew would be "pushing their schedule ahead." But, these guys are regimented. Everyone has their job to do, even the mechanics, and they marched out there, like the soldiers they are, and they took their blessed time.

By the time they got in the air, the clouds were overhead, and the "golden" shots were gone. []

Unless you live in the south, you'll have to wait for next year's shows.