Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low light lens question. Please help.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Low light lens question. Please help.

I'm looking to upgrade from my kit lens and was looking for something handholdable in low light. Camera is Xsi.

Whichshould be better? The 17-55 2.8 IS or the 50mm 1.4.

Does the IS make up the difference in aperture?

I'm not too worried about stopping action just which will allow me to handhold for cityscapes at nightetc. I'll also want to use the lens as a general pupose lens.

Also would the depth of field be too shallow for general street shots?

Thanks in advance

Jake

Re: Low light lens question. Please help.

I'd go with the 17-55 f/2.8 IS for its versatility, Image Stabilizer and f/2.8 aperture.

Quote Originally Posted by jake66
    Also would the depth of field be too shallow for general street shots?

it all depends on how you express the image

Quote Originally Posted by Sinh Nhut Nguyen
    it all depends on how you express the image

but like Nate said, it depends on how you express the image. I like the look of extended exposure shots at night with light trails.

I agree with powers_brent. A good tripod will be essential for city-scape shots at night.I would highly suggest the 17-55 as it is incredible and very versatile for a crop sensor camera as you have. You may be better off buying a good tripod and head instead of a lens. If you are considering a 50mm prime, I suggest the "nifty fifty" (50 1.8). It is incredibly cheap and produces great images. That way you don't lose too much money if you find out a 50mm prime doesn't work well for your needs.

I have both the 50 f1.4 and the 17-55 f2.8, and both are really amazing products. I shoot with a 20D and a 7D, and the 17-55 is really better than anyone on the forum can state. Jaw droppingly good.

The 50 f1.4 is great for portraiture, and general low light photo's. I do not get great results till I am at f1.8 or so. Then it shines. I hear a new 50 f1.4 mark II is on the way, so I would be leery of buying this now.

2 lenses I would call your attention 2

The 85 f1.8, a killer lens.

The 135 f 2.0, the best lens canon has ever made.

No one does it better. Great for low light, and the best backgrounds you can imagine.

My next trip to the bank will hopefully bring me the 35L f1.4, as I hear it is the bees knees.

I'll second the 85 1.4. Got it a few weeks ago, and I love it. I use it more than the 50mm now. I just take a few giant steps back. But, for me, the images just seem to pop more with the 85 than the 50mm 1.4. quickly became my favorite lens.

I also have the 17-55, and it's a great lens, but agree that it's not ideal in really low light.

I'm not too worried about stopping action just which will allow me to handhold for cityscapes at nightetc

Sounds to me like you also need a tripod! even though you said handheld. cityscape shots are often shot at narrow apertures with tripods.

I'll also want to use the lens as a general pupose lens.

jake66 - I think you need to clarify the other ways you intend on using this lens (outside of night street shots).

Here's why I'm asking--the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS is a fantastic general purpose lens. In fact, it is often my recommendation for the best lens you can buy for a crop sensor camera. However, one weakness I've noticed is that the lens does not focus well in very-low-light conditions. It really hunts for focus in dimly lit conditions, and many times, can't achieve focus at all.

For that reason alone, I'd be more apt to advise you purchase the 50mm f/1.4. However, I haven't used the 50mm f/1.4 enough in low light conditions to verify that it is indeed substantially better under the same circumstances. If it is better, thenthe 50mm lenswill likely be a better choice for your primary need. Unfortunately, I find the 50mm fixed focal length a bit inconvenient for an all-purpose lens on a crop body. Under the right conditions, it's dead useful (and downright necessary)--but my 17-55mm f/2.8 IS sees five times more action than my 50mm f/1.4 because of its versatility.

I found that my 50 1.4 hunted quite a bit in low light. It is a different price range but my 35 1.4 is the fastest focusing lens I have ever used. Really good in low light.

I have the 50mm f/1.8 and the 100mm f/2.0 both are amazing. The fifty is best when stopped down though. I rarely shoot more wide open than 2.8. THe 100mm and its practical equivalent 85 f/1.8 are both sharp wide open and even more AMAZING when stopped down. LOVE my 100mm f/2.0. Cannot recommend it enough. In terms of focus hunting, if you have a speedlight you can always use the af-assist beam as one option even though it is not always appropriate to use it. Unfortunately I have no experience with the 17-55.