Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Show Shots for Flaming

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Air Show Shots for Flaming

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming

Sounds like a lot of 7D experience is coming our way between you and Keith. Can't wait to see more results.

By the way, Keith I would love to see some of your air show shots when you have time.

Samuel

Here is a few I shot Sunday. Aerial shots were with 7D and 100-400. Shots on the ground were with 5DmkII and 16-35II.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.81/IMG_5F00_1348sm.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.81/IMG_5F00_2064sm.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.81/IMG_5F00_2088sm.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.81/IMG_5F00_2447sm.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.81/_5F00_MG_5F00_0719sm.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.81/IMG_5F00_1061sm.jpg[/img]

Re: Air Show Shots for Flaming Air Show shot for Flaming

Very nice. I've been wanting to go to an air show. Where are you at that they have them this early? I dont think there are any in Ohio (that I know of) until summer.

Quote Originally Posted by alex.krebiehl

Very nice. I've been wanting to go to an air show. Where are you at that they have them this early? I dont think there are any in Ohio (that I know of) until summer.

Thanks! I'm Melbourne (central), Florida. This was the Tico Warbird Museum Air Show.

Forgot to mention; I shot the 7D in Servo mode with the AF set to Zone and I don't think it missed a shot. It picked up action fast! This was a HUGE improvement over shooting with the 40D. HUGE!

Keith....great shots and thanks for the set up info w/the 7D.

Just got my 7D the other day and plan shooting some air shows, later in the summer, w/the 7D, 100-400 and 40D, 17-55 2.8.

Questions for ya; how'd you walk around w/the 2 cameras and did you use any filters?

The AF on the 7D is fantastic...I rented the body a few weeks ago; shooting a U. of New Hampshire hockey game and shooting birds in some very busy (read lots of branches) and the AF was spot on, minimal hunting.

Thanks for any input Keith

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill W

Keith....great shots and thanks for the set up info w/the 7D.

Questions for ya; how'd you walk around w/the 2 cameras and did you use any filters?

Thanks Bill!

I don't use any filters.

As for walking around with 2 cameras; I have a flimsy Canon backpack that is small and light, just long enough to carry a body with 100-400, some misc gear and my 70-200. I keep one camera in the bag while using the other. The gates usually open a couple hours before the air performances start so I go early shoot everything on display with 5D and wide angle then when the performances start revving up I swap cameras in and out of the back pack.

I definitely refrain from changing lenses. Air shows are usually windy and dusty.

<div>

Quote Originally Posted by Bill W

The AF on the 7D is fantastic...I rented the body a few weeks ago; shooting a U. of New Hampshire hockey game and shooting birds in some very busy (read lots of branches) and the AF was spot on, minimal hunting.

With the 40D I use to have to go through my air show shots and throw out the poorly cropped and the out of focus shots. I don't know if I threw out any OOF shots this time. It was really that good
    </div>

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B

I shot the 7D in Servo mode with the AF set to Zone and I don't think it missed a shot.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Keith, good info to know.

Which zone did you pick for these shots? The center zone?

<div>

Thanks Shea!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

I suppose Zone AF worked well for you and not for me is because of the close proximity of my subject to the background. As there was no background in your situation to confuse the AF, it tracked very well.

Makes Sense. Under the C.fn III I have the Continuous AF track priority selected. Have you tried that?
    </div>

Quote Originally Posted by Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B

I shot the 7D in Servo mode with the AF set to Zone and I don't think it missed a shot.

Keith, good info to know.

Which zone did you pick for these shots? The center zone?

For the most part it was the center cluster. Occasionally I bump it to the left or right of the center.

Re: Air Show Shots for Flaming

The 3rd one rocks! -S

Re: Air Show Shots for Flaming

Thanks for sharing. I love airplanes and it is so much fun to see action shots of them. My favorite shot is the Warthog and the other one (I can't place what exactly it is, help?). The two planes are fun to see together especially since I love the Warthog. Coolest plane ever. The helicopter shot is also really cool. I love that wide angle effect that you were able to pull from it. Hope you can update this some time with more cool shots.

By the way, have you tried using a polerizer ever? I really like them and it seems like some of your shots would have been somewhat better with that filter attached.

Thanks again,

Samuel