Thread: Lighting recommendations for the rookie photographer/videographer

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lighting recommendations for the rookie photographer/videographer

So I am a new owner of a not-so-new T2i and a handful of used lenses. I just got asked (by someone who clearly has an inordinate amount of faith in me) to do a little traveling in the interest of documenting emerging craft breweries in the US and abroad. This will consist not only taking photos, but shooting video as well, mostly of interviews. This leads to a few questions:

I need some lighting gear for both kinds of shooting. Because I

Re: Lighting recommendations for the rookie photographer/videographer

Sorry if I assumed wrong, but when you say "a new owner" I take it it is your first dslr? Just a heads up, doing videography and photography at the same time can be VERY heavy duty especially if you are new to both. Be sure to let your client know of your current skill level, as it's not something you can achieve perfection over night. If the end product is not up to par for the paying client, it can get you in a very sticky situation. Overestimating your current skill set without having previous experience to back it up can be disastrous. I only say that because I've been in that situation before. Was not pretty. So BE CAREFUL!!

Make sure you consider the time you spend editing you photos and film into the amount you are getting paid as well (if you are doing the editing). Editing time spend on film isn't even comparable to the amount you spent editing images.

So all in all, before you take this job I would suggest you give it a test run first. To get a better idea of how much work goes into it (and to see how well you can pull it off) I would suggest taking your t2i and film/photograph your friends or family for a couple hours at an event or gathering. Try creating a simple 2-3min documentary sequence that tells a clear story and summarizes the event. It'll give you a better idea of what you can achieve at the moment, and hopefully you'll use that self-evaluation to decide whether or not to take on the gig.

I don't want to sound too negative, but I just wanted to give a fair warning from someone that's been there, not to take on these gigs light heartedly without considering EVERYTHING that is asked of you when you do. []

*EDIT* - I just wanted to emphasize that I'm not trying to put you down at all. Everyone needs to start somewhere. But from your description of the gig it sounded as if it was business related (even international?) They may have higher expectations and the hurdle may be too high as a first gig with relatively fresh set of gears...

I would have to agree with the suggestions from the above poster. I'm fairly versed in photographic lighting--both mobile speedlights and not-so-mobile monolights. I've been dabbling in video more and more lately, and it's a much more time consuming endeavor if professional-looking results are what you're after.

When it comes to photographic lighting, you can do a heck of a lot with an off-camera flash, a triggering device, a relatively small softbox (or umbrella), and a compact lightstand. When it comes to video, you need constant light (and constant power to operate it), modifiers that withstand heat, as well as an external audio recording solution in order to get good results.

Being a beginner, I would hate to hang my reputation on skills I didn't think I had mastered quite yet. I think more research, more testing, and more experience is needed before you stick your neck out on this one.

From the tone of your post it sounded like you are just starting out. I think that is why the first two posters are giving the advice they are. I would say that you know the situation better than any of us. If its one that there would be no heart ache if your work was lacking, or you couldn't produce what is expected and there would be no harm I might say go for it. Being forced in over your head teaches some people to swim.

But if you were like a dozens of other posters saying they wanted to shoot their first wedding, without ever even helping at one, you have to ask yourself why would you take the chance at ruining the pictures of one of the days that are the most important in someones life. Put it this way, look at my profile and the equipment I own. I know a lot of wedding photographers that would love to have most of my kit, but I wouldn't hire myself for a wedding. Owning the equipment just doesn't give you the skill set to do it.

So if there is no one that would be harmed, go for it.

I found this interesting, you may have already seen it:

[View:http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=3580]

It is at Canon's web site and digital learning center. There are also video's showing how others make commercials with the 1D Mark IV. Watch those as well.

One of the tutorials tells you what kind of sound you can use.

Also one thing you haven't mentioned. How are you going to stabilize your camera hand held. Most of the options I have seen are very expensive, and will cost more than your camera.

Good Luck

Also

Sean

When are we going to see the video of you racing down the street in your car. We have seen the pics.....

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk

Sean

When are we going to see the video of you racing down the street in your car. We have seen the pics.....

I've thought about it, but that's a more complicated endeavor. Maybe someday...

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk

Sean

I've thought about it, but that's a more complicated endeavor. Maybe someday...

<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Sounds like a challenge to me[]
    Mark