Thread: Buy Speedlite 580EX II now or wait for next new model

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Buy Speedlite 580EX II now or wait for next new model

Hello to all,

Do you know when will successor of Speedlite 580EX II be released? Considering Canon nowadays will release next model of its DSLR every 15 months or so, do you think a new model of Speedlite, perhaps 580EX III or 590EX will be released soon?

I have budget to get Speedlite 580EX II now, but I don't mind to wait for a while if a new model of Speedlite is on its way... Should I just get it now or should I wait... Please advise.

Thank you.

Re: Buy Speedlite 580EX II now or wait for next new model

The last rumor I had seen was that a new higher powered flash was coming but wasn't replacing the 580EXII but was going to be a new pricier model. I don't know how realistic that rumor is or was.

I Love my 580EXIIs. They are quite powerful as they are. I would say go with the 580EXII but wait for the rebates. I think it is useually $70 and that way if they replace it you won't feel too bad about the price you paid.

Alan

Just think of all the nice flash shots you'll miss, while you're waiting for the next Speedlite.

Like Keith said, the 580EXII is a great flash. I wouldn't wait, if I were you.

There's always "the next model" on the horizon.

Canon doesn't replace flash units nearly as fast as cameras. They are more like lenses. the original 580EX was replaced after about 3 years--quite quickly, actually. I've been quite happy with the 580EX II. I'd buy it ASAP. :-)

The 580EX II is a buy it now and use it. The assumption is that newer units are always better but not in every respect, it may not interface with older ( or your camera) as well as it's contemporary model, in other words there may be features the newer model doesn't have that you might have used in the older model. Other possibilities are the interface may change and not be as much to your liking as the older model. Another reason to buy now is that the older or newer model could be relegated to slave flash status, and as you add lights to your arsenal you can achieve more balanced or creative lighting techniques that single flash doesn't allow. It's fun to take old strobes and make them shine again in multiflash setups for which they weren't intended, some photographers use Vivitar 280 series flashes from the 1970's and obtain spectacular results. Canon should be applauded for making the 580EX II bulletproof, the foot and the seals including the door are very well made. One last suggestion: buy it, use it, sell it when the newer model arrives.

Get it now. Speedlites normally have long lifecycles. This particular model replaced an earlier model that was relatively young, to match the menu capabilities of the 1D3 camera. As such, I'd bet it'll have an extra-long lifecycle to make up for things. To me, there isn't much missing in its featureset, if anything. I wish it had more power, but don't we all...
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Think about what you want to do and perhaps consider a used 580EX rather than a new 580EX II. That way, you might save a bit to help buy an improved flash later. I paid $285 for a 580EX on eBay vs $420 for the 580EX II at B&H. On the other hand, you could probably get $325-350 for a used 580EX II on eBay.

From Bryan's review, the main improvements of the 580EX II over the 580EX are:
    • Faster recycling time (that can be very useful or of little consequence; both would be improved by using the external battery pack)
    • Somewhat more rugged (e.g., metal vs plastic foot)
    • Weather-resistant attachment--but only if you have an appropriate camera.
    • PC port (convenient if you use the flash with a remote trigger, though an $8 hot shoe adapter works very well.)
    • Auto and Manual External Metering, though Bryan suggests that it doesn't work very well (significant underexposure)
    • Improved battery door
    • Lever lock vs thumbwheel

One drawback is that setting up the flash for wireless use as a master or slave is a bit more involved.

George Slusher
    Lt Col, USAF (Ret)
    Eugene, OR

I have a 580EX II I got in January with the last round of rebates; I think it was only $50, not the $70 mentioned in an earlier post. What I do know is that with the rebate/discount I paid $365. I love the flash. It recycles very, very quickly using Energizer 2450 mAh NiMH rechargables and has a long use per set of batteries. I have some cheaper i-Concepts 2700mAh NiMH rechargables, which are from a photo shop, but they have a much shorter life in high demand usage, so now I stay with the better brand names, they just work better for me.

Using history as a guide, the spring rebates should start in a month or so. My advice would be if (1) you have a need for it (you can always find a use for it) and (2) it is in your budget wait the month or so to see if there is a rebate, and then buy one from a reputable source. When Canon comes out with a new model you can always either get it and make the 580EX II a slave or sell it used. There will be someone with a 430EX II budget who will be glad to move up to a good used 580EX II for a fair price.

I agree with everyone above: buy it and use it, you will not regret this purchase! It will have a long life regardless of what new model comes out next.[Y][Y]