Thread: Albuquerque, NM

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Albuquerque, NM

I will be spending a week in Albuquerque in June. Any suggestions on what to shoot?

Mark
    Mark

Re: Albuquerque, NM

Mark....will you be staying downtown w/out transportation? How much mobility and free time will you have?

If you

Quote Originally Posted by Bill W

Now....just wait for Bob Williams to chime in....he lives a little south of ABQ and will probably overload you w/suggestions.

Enjoy

Mark, Bill is absolutely correct---both the Sandia Mountains and Old town are great places to shoot---Assuming you have transportation, here are some specifics:

1. For Scenics: The Sandias are a great place to start. Either take the tram or drive up to Sandia Peak there is a very easy 2.5 mile trail between the two with lots of rocky cliff shots and high altitude shots of Albuquerque also good opportunity for wildlife. (note: its been very dry and the bears are hungry [:O] ) Its good to be either at Sandia Peak or the restaurant at sunset and twilight so you can get those shots. You can also get some great shots of the Sandias from just north of town or the West Mesa---with a little luck you can catch the mountains at sunset when they have a red tint to them---hence the name Sandia (Watermelon)

2. For Architecture: Both old town Albuquerque and Santa Fe have some very old churches. You just have to look around to see what sparks you. About 50 miles south of Albuquerque are several sets of ruins--If this interests you, I can give you specific locations----As always, sunrise or sunset provides the best lighting for these. You may find Sky City (60 miles west of Albuquerque) interesting. Its the oldest continuosly inhabited city in the US---But beware, everything cost money, including taking pictures on the reservation.

3. For wildlife: Wildlife is abundant in the mountains, but finding the animals can be a challenge---maybe some bear, elk or deer in the mountains or pronghorn, coyotes in the flats--Also lots of bird varieties including raptors. You may also be interested in the Bosque Del Apache about 70 miles south of Albuquerque----A lot of wildlife opportunities there as well, but most of the waterfoul are gone for the summer. If you are interested in a day trip and have a little extra money, The Wild Sprit Wolf Sanctuary is absolutely wonderful----for about $50 an hour, they will have a staff member take you inside the fence with the wolves----I have done this twice, and I can assure you there is nothing like getting up close and personal with a pack of wolves. Call in advance if you think you would be interested in this.

Finally, there are many areas, especially the national forests that are closed due to the current fire hazard---before you make a trip to the mountains, call the park service to make sure its open. If you have anything specific in mind, let me know and I will try and recommend some good spots for you.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Bob

Bob

Thanks Bill & Bob,

I
    Mark