Thread: Silent Shooting what are its best uses?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Silent Shooting what are its best uses?

I would like to see if any 1D users have input here, as well as others.

Since a link was posted not long ago by Bryan to a vidio by Yuri Arcurs, I have been pouring over Yuri's site to gleen information.

I was looking at this article he posted today : [View:http://www.arcurs.com/clash-of-the-titans-canon-1ds-mark-iii-vs-nikon-d3x-for-stock]

I found this quote:
    <p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: small; font-family: Calibri;"]"Shooting in &ldquo;silent&rdquo; mode on the Canon 1Ds Mark III gives my assistants about 50% sharper files. The silent mode has a short shutter delay of maybe 300-400 milliseconds. This is perfect and matches the shutter delay I have on my Hasselblad. On the Hasselblad I can customize my shutter delay in internals of 50 and 200 milliseconds. We would like to have seen the same option on the Nikon. This fixed in firmware and would require little effort."
    <p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: small; font-family: Calibri;"]
    <p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: small; font-family: Calibri;"]Now the 1D series has a setting for silent mode that works in both live view and through the view finder. While the 5D and 7D will only do this in in live view, unless I am reading it wrong.
    <p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: small; font-family: Calibri;"]
    <p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: small; font-family: Calibri;"]I am wondering, would it be good to use this setting sometimes with the telephoto lens, and help with stoping vibration. Has any one any experience using silent mode?
    <p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: small; font-family: Calibri;"]Thanks
    <p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: small; font-family: Calibri;"]Rick

Re: Silent Shooting what are its best uses?

Hey Rick, can
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

The question is probably beyond my technical scope to answer, and it just mostly brought up more questions for me...

Conceptually, no matter how long the shutter lag is I was under the impression that it wouldn't have any kind of influence on anything related to long focal length, vibrations, or shutter speed. Since the very definition of "shutter lag" is the lag between the moment the trigger is pulled, and the moment the shutter initially begins to move? So as long as the shutter speed is adequate for the long focal length, a shorter lag wouldn't necessarily help anything.

The only scenario I can think of which it can help, was if you were in AI Servo and tracking an object moving to or away from you. The shorter lag would mean the AI Servo would have to compensate less for the object's movement, thus more accurate?

But since I don't know exactly what the AI Servo system incorporates into it's estimation of the object movement, so I could be very very far off []

SteveU

The impression I came away from that article, is that the Canon Lenses are superior to Nikons. The Nikon D3X is more user friendly than the Canon. In the future Nikon will have major catch up to play with their lens line. Last was the differences in ISO and noise levels. We

Yeah, I agree with you Rick, I
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

It
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.