Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Handy Lightstand: MaxSaver Flexible Tripod

I'd been looking at the Gorillapods for a while to keep in my bag for
    use in mobile lighting setups. However, the Gorillapod SLR (which has a
    high enough weight rating to hold up a flash, swivel, radio receiver,
    and possibly an umbrella) is $65 , and that's just too much to pay for
    something I might
    use at some point. However, I recently found a cheaper alternative, the
    flexible tripod from MaxSaver.net (a site referred to a few times in this community--that's how I stumbled upon it). It has the same 6lb weight rating as
    the Gorillapod SLR, but is a fraction of the cost ($10!).

In the above picture, the MaxSaver flexible tripod is supporting a
    heavy duty umbrella swivel, hotshoe with miniphone jack, a Cybersync
    receiver (and my Cybersync camo holder), a Vivitar 285HV, and an
    umbrella. In order to attach the umbrella swivel, I used this stud (I had a few lying around).

It's a pretty neat little tool to have lying around just in case you ever need it.

It's possible that the joints may loosen with time and causing it not
    hold as well as it does now, but from this little test, I'm impressed.
    For as little as it costs (and weighs), I think every strobist
    backpacker should carry a couple of them. It probably wouldn't fair
    well in wind if using an umbrella, but it worked fine in the calm
    evening air. ;-)

Re: Handy Lightstand: MaxSaver Flexible Tripod

Sean, that is really cool and good to know. I have a small, original (Joby) gorillapod for my s60 P&S and so I know that these are pretty expensive. I've also seen the cheap ones on maxsaver but was sure they wouldn't do the job, but now I know thanks to you that the cheap ones work too. Just let us know what happens in the future with this one.

BTW, my gorillapd (small version) have one joint that is loosen, and the problem is that it's on the "main"/middle part of the tripod - i.e not one of the legs but the part which is like the center column in a regular tripod. As much as I know you can disassemble the joints and then reassemble them back again at w/e way you wish - but you'll need to apply some force to do that and I don't know, it might loosen the joints even more so I haven't tried it yet.

Few more questions here...

Does your umbrella swivel connects to the gorillapod directly? it fits perfectly without any modifications?

What kind of swivel do you use and what's the cheapest one you can recommend on?

Honestly, I don't understand why stores like b&h and the like take $80 for a simple umbrella - is there anything special about these umbrellas? What do you think about this:

Dealextreme has a white shoot through (that's what it looks like) for less than $7: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5123

Quote Originally Posted by Oren

Few more questions here...

Does your umbrella swivel connects to the gorillapod directly? it fits perfectly without any modifications?

What kind of swivel do you use and what's the cheapest one you can recommend on?

Honestly, I don't understand why stores like b&h and the like take $80 for a simple umbrella - is there anything special about these umbrellas? What do you think about this:

Dealextreme has a white shoot through (that's what it looks like) for less than $7: [url="http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5123]http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5123[/url]
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

The umbrella swivel I used is a LumoPro LP634 from MPEX. It's very well made, and it's very similar to the more expensive one Manfrotto makes. Keep in mind you'll need a shoe to go along with it. Otherwise, you could use a LumoPro LP633. I think it would work fine. Both would require the stud I mentioned above to connect the swivel to the flexible tripod, however, I believe both swivels actually come with the stud. You can find swivels cheaper, but both are well made and have taken quite a bit of abuse (from me) while still working fine.

As far as the umbrella goes, an umbrella is an umbrella. There are only 3 things you need to consider when buying one--fabric, build quality, and size (both folded and unfolded). Those dealextreme umbrellas look pretty small (33"). I prefer an umbrella that's a bit larger. Personally, I use the Westcott 43" White Satin Collapsible umbrella. They're a good size, only $20, and they double-fold meaning they pack a lot easier than most umbrellas. I have 2 of the white versions and 2 of the silver reflective ones, and they've all served me well.

Thanks a lot Sean! This is just what I was looking for!