Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon 85mm f/1.8 or Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM Lens

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Canon 85mm f/1.8 or Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM Lens

As some of you may remember, I have a undying love (or lust) for the 85mm f/1.2 II USM lens but it is way out of my sensible, unprofessional price range. []
    Since I do own the 85mm f/1.8 and LOVE this lens, I was wondering in the more rational and educated minds of others, would the Sigma 85mm f/1/4 EX DG HSM lens that just came out be in the middle between these two Canon lenses as far as IQ goes since it is $ wise. I have never ownedanything other than Canon but am wondering if the Sigma would produce even better sharpness and bokeh than what I already achieve with my 85mm f/1.8.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
    Denise

Re: Canon 85mm f/1.8 or Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM Lens

How about the Bower 85mm f/1.4? It's cheap and about as sharp as the Canon f/1.8.

Just a thought,

John.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Glass
    How about the Bower 85mm f/1.4? It's cheap and about as sharp as the Canon f/1.8.

No, I haven't looked at that one. Thanks for the suggestion ...I'm on my way to do a google search now!

Denise

I have a bad taste for sigma. I probably just had a bad copy but I lost money over it. I have the canon 50 f1.4 and 100 f2.0 and love them both. As bad as I have the "L" disease, I can not come around to spend the $$$
    Mark

I have had 4 sigma lenses that will not work on my Canon DSLR

I

Here's a link to a few random comparison shots I took right after getting the Sigma.

www.flickr.com/.../72157625414118792

As of right now, my decision is to send it back but I will try it out alittle more after work tomorrow just to be sure. []

I looked up the price of the sigma 85. I think for that price I would go for the Canon EF 135mm f/2.0 L USM. My be a bit long for you crop body. For my FF it is the next prime I plan on.

Mark
    Mark

Hi Denise,

Like you, I only own Canon lenses - given Bryan's reviews and others available, quality seems to be hit-or-miss. Jan is happy with his Sigma 50mm f/1.4, which is reassuring. Still, I'd certainly recommend waiting until some review of the new lens become available. From their past history, I'd expect the optical quality to be good - not sure about 'in the middle between the two Canon lenses' though, since that 'middle' is a pretty narrow region and the 85mm f/1.8 is optically excellent. It will be interesting to see how the new Sigma handles chromatic aberration, though. I'd be more concerned about AF issues with the new lens, based on Sigma's reputation.

Yes, I suppose this is another one to add to my "wait and see" list. I suppose for many of the new lenses it will be a number of months yet before we start seeing reviews from consumers and various websites.

Jan did luck out with having wonderful results from his Sigma lens but you are correct, it is a "hit or miss" type of thing. Overall, would you say Tamron has a better track record than Sigma?

Denise