Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making Due with a Lens that was Cheap in 1995

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Making Due with a Lens that was Cheap in 1995

These were taken with my 75-300mm f4-5.6. It sometimes won't focus, and when it does it squeeeeeeks LOUDLY!

Canon XTi, 300mm, Aperture Priority f5.6, 1/1000-1/1600, ISO 1600

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.24.20/IMG_5F00_5535.JPG[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.24.20/IMG_5F00_5558.JPG[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.24.20/IMG_5F00_5611.JPG[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.24.20/IMG_5F00_5615.JPG[/img]

Re: Making Due with a Lens that was Cheap in 1995

Nice, Steve. I especially like the last. Did you prefocus and wait, or just hope the lens would focus when it needed to?

How cropped are these? I would have cropped more, but I might have been wrong to do so... I like the way there is a sense of context here.

I sometimes shoot hummingbirds (take pictures of them, that is) and get my best pics, not when I'm really quick on the draw and using a really fast lens, but when they just stay *still* for a little while (which they sometimes do). You can see a few of them at

http://picasaweb.google.com/jonruyle/Hummingbirds#

I used more expensive equipment, so I guess I've proved that more expensive equipment doesn't always lead to better results

I find that I never have enough light, because I want a really high shutter speed to freeze the wings, and I want low iso to because I'll probably want to crop. I also want to stop down to get the whole thing in focus (dof is tiny with closeups...), but I usually can't have all of that. So I get noisy blurry pics

Did you try getting very close to them? That is one aspect that, for me, was actually easier than expected. At first I put a 2x converter on my 70-200, but found I didn't need the reach. So I ditched the 2x converter in favor of extension tubes... they don't seem to mind if I'm really close by.

Once again- nice work.

Jon.

Jon,

Thanks for the positive feedback! I'm reallywanting the 400mm f5.6, but will have to wait a while for that.

I used AI Servo, with my butt planted on the ground, elbows on my knees, and 8-15 away. I should have used Partial Metering (especially for the third one), but forgot and used Center Weighted . I do prefer to have the context, so I crop big, which also minimizes how much noise shows up. In this case 2200x2200 to 2600x2600. And I'm into square crops at the moment (no particular reason).

I sat for about60 minutes, and the hummingbirds showed up for about 2 minutes every 5-10 minutes.

Nice photos BTW. I really like the red-head!

Nice photos. Certainly nothing wrong with that old lens. Nice and sharp.

Larry

I like that last photo the best. I like the depth it presents with the blurred plant matter in the foreground and focus on the bird behind that portion of the image.

Rick

Thanks Larry. It's slow and noisy, but I'm happy to have it! As long as I don't have sky in the background, the chromatic aberration isn't too bad either.

Thanks Rick. I like it when it can look like we're peeking in on the animals.

I like the last one for color and composition.

That sucks it doesn't focus sometime... But you made great pictures! My lens does focus properly always but I haven't made anything like this... Good job here!

Thanks!

Steve and Jon,

Great pictures! I love hummingbirds, and it gives me something to look forward to this Spring, since I just got a camera. I am excited about the prospect offinding and photographing some soon. I am encouraged by the thought that I may not need more than my lowly 28-135 that I have now!