Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bryan's 600EX-RT review posted

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Bryan's 600EX-RT review posted

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...sh-Review.aspx

I second the opinion that the RT system is fantastic. The ability to control power levels of multiple flashes, right from the camera, is incredibly useful - particularly when one or more of the flashes is up high on a light stand or boom.

Note: the 600EX-RT is just $425 now at Adorama with the Buy Together deal mentioned on the News feed. Very, very tempting...

I second that this system is first class. The flash units are not much different from the 580EX but the addition of the RT has made all the difference. I must say that they are even that much better when combined with the ST-E3-RT. I have been able to put away all my other methods of flash triggers.
    My problem is that I want 4 more of these.
    Note that they only function to their max (speaking of group function) with the 5DIII and above.
    I posted this limitation last year and will be glad to review it if anyone is interested.

Quote Originally Posted by iND View Post
    Note that they only function to their max (speaking of group function) with the 5DIII and above.
    I posted this limitation last year and will be glad to review it if anyone is interested.
    Apparently the YN version of the ST-E3-RT allows Group flash with pre-2012 bodies (via the transmitter, but not the camera menus). It also has an AF assist lamp, for those that miss that feature from the Canon controller.

Agree with radio trans. And the ability to control the flashes but one thing I love is the CFn (custom function) is that it is now readable no need to carry around a CFn list or manual around to figure out what 01 01 is.
    Canon 5DMII, 30D 17-40 L f/4.0, 24-70L f2.8, 70-200L IS f2.8, 400L f4.0-5.6, 24 tilt shift, 2x 600ex-RT

I replaced the 580 EXII immediately when the 600's came out. I now own four and the ST-E4. Absolutely no regrets. I was using the PW radio remotes which were IMO worthless.
    Owner of Deevers Photography. If you have some time, visit my website at deeversphoto.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Deevers View Post
    Absolutely no regrets. I was using the PW radio remotes which were IMO worthless.
    The PW system is finicky, but has a couple of advantages over the Canon -RT system - first, the ability to radio control a blended group of Speedlites and monolights, and second, the AC3 Zone Controller, where if 3 groups and a 6-stop range is enough, there's no faster way to adjust power levels.

Hopefully, Canon or Yongnuo will come out with an -RT receiver that will allow triggering a monolight.

YN VERSION?

Where would I find the YN? version?
    Sounds useful to allow my 50D collection to utilize the 600EX-RT groups function

This is the product Neuro is talking about: Yongnuo YN-E3-RT

Also note: The YN-E3-RT says it supports 2nd Curtain Sync (in M mode), which the Canon version does not. Interesting...

I honestly don't recall whether it was the PW-triggered Einstein or the RT-triggered 600's, but one of them didn't when I stacked the ST-E3 on the MiniTT1.