Thread: Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro

I have been waiting forever to buy the Canon 100mm macro lens... I wanted to buy it from amazon but it has not been in stock forever. What is the deal with this lens right now? I found it at adorama for $640, but Brian posted a link that J&R had it for under $500 (They ran out). Is it going to be discontinued? Also is paying $600 a good price?

thanks

Scotty

Re: Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro

I am having the same problem with the 50mm 1.4 from Amazon. There was a deal which turns out to be $75 off that i ordered and it has been almost a month+ wait to date. I just hope it comes in soon or I will have to buy it at the more expensive price.

I also own the 100mm macro and it is worth every penny. You could hop in line if you find the deal you want, or just buy it at the more expensive price.. You won't regret the purchase. If I have to buy the 50mm at the more expensive price, I will wait until I get the sale one and sell it to recover the difference.

My two cents on the matter.

Jayson

The 100mm f/2.8 macro lens is worth waiting for but not worth paying premium for.

What do you guys think is a good price?

For what it's worth, I just ordered a used one from ebay for $400. I generally see them on craigslist anywhere from $400-$550. I'm not sure how the new 100mm macro L will affect the price of this lens.

I am hoping it makes it cheaper. I would love to have the L version, but at over $1000 with the IS, it is a bit pricey, IMO. I am waiting to hear from Bryan with a review, but it isn't faster than the old one, it isn't longer in focal length. Unless it is noticeably sharper or IS in that lens is a revelation, I don't see the better build quality being worth almost twice the money.

OTOH, if someone wants to buy me the new L version, I would humbly accept it, mainly not to hurt your feelings. []

Quote Originally Posted by HiFiGuy1
    Unless it is noticeably sharper

If Canon's MTF charts are to be believed, it is noticeably sharper. But I'll wait for Bryan's test.

Quote Originally Posted by Cozen
    I'm not sure how the new 100mm macro L will affect the price of this lens.

The price of the non-L, non-IS 100mm Macro lens has recently gone up, not down. I just updated my spreadsheet with data on lenses for Canon SLRs. The previous price I had for the 100mm f/2.8 Macro was $525; it's now $640. I don't know how long ago I had updated the list, but most Canon lenses went up 10+%. I paid $401 + $15 shipping for a used one with the optional hood on eBay in Feb, 2008. (I later bought the ET-67B hood, which also fits the 100mm Macro. It's a lot shorter (and, thus, smaller in diameter, as well) and fits in my bag a lot better.

George Slusher
    Lt Col, USAF (Ret)
    Eugene, OR