Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Rapid Slings?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Black Rapid Slings?

Ran into a guy yesterday who had a gripped 5D MkII on a sling that attached to the tripod mount. I went up to him and asked about it and he highly recommended it. I looked it up online and have noticed that it has some mixed reviews. Does anyone else have any experience with Black Rapid slings? I was looking into getting the Curve (RS-7)

Some people swear by them (I am one of them) and others have their own preferences, like the Spider holster.

Extremely dependable product. Followed advice from John (@Neuro) and attached a 1" Kirk clamp to the fastener with Loctite blue for additional security.

The Curve is a nice design. Doubt you would be disappointed.
    There is beauty in simplicity.

1DX | 16-35L II | 24-70L II | 50/1.2L | 70-200/2.8L IS II | 100L Macro | 100-400L II | 300/2.8L IS II | 1.4x III TC | 2x III TC | 580EX II | MT-24EX | lots of stuff

I have the RS-7 and really like it. Similar to the 1" Kirk clamp, I have the RRS B2-FAB-F clamp with flat back attached to my Black Rapid. Easier to go from the strap to tripod. I have the RRS camera plate and a handstrap on the camera.

photo 1 by EricPvpi2, on Flickr

photo 2 by EricPvpi2, on Flickr

Perfect. That's the solution I've been seeking. I have the dual RS setup so I can hang my 6D and 7D with different lenses. But having to remove the RS fastener just to mount to a tripod was a small annoyance, plus the fastener won't let the camera sit flat in my bag. The clamp idea looks like it will work.
    Mark - Flickr

I like how the setup with the clamp works together and I have my hand strap for normal use. For my photo backpack, I also have the Think Tank Camera Support Straps on the pack harness. http://www.thinktankphoto.com/produc...straps-v2.aspx

I can take the clamp with FastenR and hook to one of the straps if I just want to carry with my backpack without the BlackRapid strap. The camera swings a little more than on the BlackRapid, but it works. But I have seen that some folks use their BlackRapid along with a backpack.
    Last edited by EricPvpi; 07-07-2013 at 05:27 PM.

I have the BlackRapid RS-Sport Extreme and the RS-4 with the BlackRapid Brad Underarm Stabilizer. Having used the RS-4 with and without the underarm support, I can highly recommend the underarm support (which replicates the RS-Sport Extreme's support design).

It's significantly more comfortable to wear your camera strap as a sling as opposed to hanging from your neck. The BR's design makes it easy to slide up from your waist. Without the underarm support strap, though, the padded shoulder strap can slide forward or backward when you pull the camera up and down a couple of times. The underarm support fixes that issue completely.

I'm definitely a fan.

Black Rapid Slings?

I have both the RS-4 (for regular use), and the Sport-L (left handed strap for use with the 600 II). Love them. As stated, I have a Kirk 1" clamp on both, with Loctite Blue 242 on the lug threads. For an upside-down use like this, there's no strength difference between the Kirk 1" clamp and the 1.5" RRS clamp.

I also have a Spider Pro Holster with their Arca Clamp, and that works very well also.

Worth mentioning that Blackrapid has great customer service. My RS-4 nylon strap was fraying a bit on the leading edge after close to two years of use. I snapped a pic and sent it to BR, just to check if they thought there might be a structural integrity issue (I doubted it). They said no, it was fine to keep using it...then they sent me a brand new RS-4, anyway.

Thanks for all the input guys. I think I'll hold off on buying one just yet so I can get my new tripod situation figured out. Don't wanna go and spend money only to find I can't get something compatible like you all have rigged up.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidWare View Post
    Thanks for all the input guys. I think I'll hold off on buying one just yet so I can get my new tripod situation figured out. Don't wanna go and spend money only to find I can't get something compatible like you all have rigged up.
    No matter what tripod you decide to buy - just make sure you get Arca-Swiss style clamps and plates. There is a huge selection from different vendors who offer AS-style gear, it is almost like an industry standard. Even Manfrotto gave in eventually and now offers ballheads with AS clamps
    Arnt

While getting it all setup with the tripod plate is cool and all, it's not necessary to enjoy this strap at all. It takes me four seconds to attach or remove it, and the same for my manfrotto quick release plate.

I just picked one up myself as carrying my 5d3 and 70-200 f/4 around my neck with the Canon strap was just becoming uncomfortable. This thing distributes the weight evenly, and the camera doesn't bounce around on your hip when you're walking. I am going to return the RS-4 for the Sport model as I can easily see the underarm support being invaluable in keeping the shoulder pad in place.