Thread: National Geographic Style

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

National Geographic Style

Thanks to Sean for finding this link. I thought it was really interesting on a number of levels. But great discussion of light, working what you have, and knowing your camera.

Which got me thinking, how long does it take to really know your camera? I got to the point with the 7D that I really felt I knew it. But, I have to admit, with the 5DIII, I am still not quit there. I think part of this is that I changed up my lenses at the midpoint of owning it (24-105 to 24-70 II and 100-400L to 70-200 II/150-600S) whereas with the 7D I had the EFS 15-85 and 100-400L the entire time.

But the thought makes me want to head out and just shoot my lens/body combinations a bunch more.

I've owned a pair of 1Dx bodies for over 2 years, and I'm still not convinced I understand the AF system 100%. That said, I picked up a 5DsR last October and feel like the only thing I'm not 100% confident on is how I manage to bump the aperture setting so often. That said, I feel like I've picked up too many lighting modifiers too fast, and I really struggle to look at a potential scene and decide how to light it (or decide what to pack before leaving the house to be ready for said shoot).
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.