Thread: Used Mark II???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Used Mark II???

IS it worth buing a used 1d Mark II with anywhere from 1000 - 9000 acusations

Re: Used Mark II???

I think you mean actuations. []

Yes, it is worth buying a used 1D Mark II with 9000 actuations. But how do you know it's actually that little? I'd blow through 9000 actuations in less than a month. It came out four years ago. I would have 250,000 actuations on it if I had owned it since it came out four years ago.

Of course, it depends on the price, as well. I'm not sure what the average price on the used market is, but I find that most used equipment sells for much higher prices than I would ever be willing to pay.

It could be worth it. I've seen 1d Mark II's on craigslist with anywhere from 10K-24K actuations for as low as $1,100 (looked good in pictures and seller seemed believable -- I totally disregard any photo gear listing without a coherent, complete description that makes sense). I've been watching the used 1D Mark II, IIn and III market for a few months, and it seems like the II has come down in price over that period. The IIn still seems to command a premium.

I've also seen the occasional attractively priced 1Ds Mark II. Funny, but those almost always seem to have low actuations. Maybe pros and serious shooters hang onto them, and the people selling them are folks who bought an expensive camera because they could afford it, but never really used it a lot.

yes i have one.

I think the 1D series cameras are good used prospects because they are built like tanks. My 1DMKII is very solid and robust. I think you can count on them being solid for 100's of thousands of shots.

My 1D IIN has 90,000 and counting and looks and works like new. It will be obsolete long before it wears out.

At a little over $1000, I think they're a great deal used right now. I paid $3500 for mine.

Jon,

Hmmm. I think yours is obsolete right now, as a matter of fact. You probably should sell it immediately. I'll give you $1000. []

I bought a used 1D Mark II a few months ago for $1,000 with 18K actuations. I use it mainly as a back up for my 5D Mark II when I want to go out and shoot in inclement weather. Although it doesn't have as many pixels (8.2 vis a vis 21), it still takes fantastic pictures and is built like a tank. Being able to take 8.5 fps is also fantastic when you go out and do sports photography.

I think it's better to start asking if a 1D II is what you're going to need. For the same price you can get a 50D alike new, and I think you're aware of that. Overall I will get a 50D over the 1D II as it's modern and it offers literally better IQ and resolution. The advantage of a 1D II is the 45-point focus (which may not even be faster than the 50D), 8FPS and a robust body.