Thread: WTB: travel tripod

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

WTB: travel tripod

I am traveling overseas in 6 weeks, and I will be wanting to take a travel tripod.
    I have looked and looked and the only thing I can decide is that they are expensive.
    I am wanting light for a backpack.
    Want to take it on the plane (this folds down to carry on size)
    I am going to be mounting a 50D and a medium lens (probably 24-70) not sure how much that weighs.
    I will want the head and at least one mounting plate.
    Does not matter if it is scratched.

Anything out there for sale?

Can't help you with the sale, but don't be surprised if they won't let you take a tripod (even folded down) on board in your carry-on. Maybe some of the other folks here will chime in with their experiences. TSA can be unpredictable, though.
    Mark - Flickr

Do you have a rough price range?...$300-500 or more like $100
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

While I don't have a tripod for sale, I can recommend the GorillaPod Focus. While I do have a real CF Slik tripod, I found it very cumbersome on the backpack. It was always getting caught on things. For my last 2 OS trips I used the GorillaPod Focus and it didn't cause any problems with the TSA.

This one is small, cheap and easy to manage on the backpack. I didn't have any problems with it get hooked up on something.

http://joby.com/gorillapod/focus/

Also take a look at the version with the ball-head.

Hope this helps
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

I have the one-step lower model, the GorillaPod SLR Zoom, with the Joby BH-1 ballhead. It's small, light, and holds a gripped body and standard zoom just fine. I bring that when I don't want to pack my 4-section CF tripod.

FWIW, that tripod does fit in a carryon hard case (Storm im2500) with the head removed. I've taken it on flights with no airport security issues (and I've taken a CF monopod in carryon instead, on some occasions, also hassle-free). YMMV.

If it makes you feel more comfortable, I've carried a GT2541 with a Arca Swiss head on many flights. I've never been questioned once by security. They prefer to take my almost finished waterbottle every time...