Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Closer up with a wide angle lens

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Closer up with a wide angle lens

Since getting a new 16-35 f/2.8L II I have been reading about the
    closer up potential with such a lens. Normally I will be using this lens
    for indoor weddings but I decided to take a few shots closer up and get
    critiqued by TDP forum addicts (you know who you are, lol).

#1 EXIF Data: 5D, 1/60sec, f/14, 100 ISO, 18mm f/l

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.22.75/_5F00_002-copy.jpg[/img]

#2 EXIF Data: 5D, hand held, 0.5sec, f/2.8, 100 ISO, 35mm

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.22.75/_5F00_028_5F00_2.jpg[/img]

It's been fun so far. Let me know what you think.

Tom

Re: Closer up with a wide angle lens

Hi Tom

I'm not a critique, far from it. Love pic #2. I envy you that you are able to shoot this pic hand held #2 EXIF Data: 5D, hand held, 0.5sec, f/2.8, 100 ISO, 35mm.

It seems that your are very happy with your new lens. I'm thinking of getting one, to use it with my 5D. Look forward to more pic's. Wally
    Wally Bouw Flickr Vimeo

Looks Great Tom! I have the same lens and it is one of my favorites!

Ah common. Two responses? That's it? Nothing from Neuro, Sean Setters, Bob Williams, Sheiky, Daniel Browning, or Denise? How sad!

Wow, I just got called out.

Seriously, though, I like the kitty picture. I've often had fun shooting closeups with a wide-angle lens (I'm fond of the distortion under certain circumstances).

Speaking of shooting, I did quite a bit of it this weekend--three separate shoots, in fact. I've posted a few from my first session on flickr (and some are proving very popular). The other sessions are to come.

Hi Tom,

Sorry - weekend is family time, and this morning was, too - I spent it out picking apples and taking a hayride with my wife and daughter. Saw your post on Sunday (from my iPhone, where as a recent thread discussed, I can read but not respond). Loved the hay bales shot - great exposure and nice composition. The kitty is cute, I may have cropped differently, but the close-up wide angle distortion works in your favor in the shot! I like!

--John

I apologize for not responding sooner! [] Been busy going thru so many photos of my own recently and trying out a few different pp techniques and of course our on and off again 503 errors.

After viewing your photos at work today (can view but can't respond unless on lunchbreak), you did have me taking a closer look at this lens. That's how much I really like the results you obtained with both photos! The color &detail in both photos is amazing! Did you do much post-processing?

This really looks like a fun lens! I've been thinking of making a few changes with some of my lenses but I'm waiting to see what Canon comes out with.

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    The color &detail in both photos is amazing! Did you do much post-processing?

The only thing I did in PS for the kitty was to remove color cast by declaring the white fur to be white. For the hay shot I bumped the contrast a bit and blued the sky with a PS color filter.

After reading Rich's response I am going to revisit the original and see what I can do. If I have to go back to the scene I will try that as well.

Thanks,

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wertman
    <div>

Ah common. Two responses? That's it? Nothing from Neuro, Sean Setters, Bob Williams, Sheiky, Daniel Browning, or Denise? How sad!

<div>Wow 2 days...you're one patient guy [:P] Nah you're right...I will admit that I'm one of the TDP addicts [A] Unfortunately it's not the only thing I do...</div>
    </div>

Anyway I saw your post yesterday, but at the time I was about to write something my camera was ready with importing and I wanted to check the photos of saturdays family-reunion/granny's birthday [] And believe it or not I did not even turn the PC on last sunday[8-|]At least not that I remember [:P]
    <div>Right, but here's what I thought yesterday:</div>
    <div>
    #1 EXIF Data: 5D, 1/60sec, f/14, 100 ISO, 18mm f/l
    </div>

Very nice shot. I like the lighting although a little bit of fill wouldn't be too bad especially in the most outside haystacks(is that the proper word?). Also I was amazed about the little distortions. I assume you used some lens-correction? Or is 18mm distortion noticeably less than 16mm?

The one thing that disturbs me a bit though is the branch behind the haystacks exactly in the centre of the image. For some reason it gets my attention and I doubt that will be your idea. Perhaps it are the clouds pointing towards it. Also you seem to have some sensor dust []

#2 EXIF Data: 5D, hand held, 0.5sec, f/2.8, 100 ISO, 35mm

I'm not a cat-man so I won't tell you it looks adorable or something, but it's a nice portrait. I can't believe you shot it hand-held at only half a second. Very nice since it looks "sharp" at this size. Was it an intentional slow shot? Training steady hands? []

It's been fun so far.

Well you can tell, these shots look great! Take my comments with a bit of satire...you were practically begging for it [A]

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    After viewing your photos at work today (can view but can't respond unless on lunchbreak), you did have me taking a closer look at this lens. That's how much I really like the results you obtained with both photos!
    <div>

I agree with you Denise, however you must keep in mind that these shots were shot on a full-frame camera. Your 17-55 f2.8 could make the same shot on your 7D. Unless you absolutely needed the 1mm extra wide-angle or weathersealing it wouldn't make a lot of sense to put your money to this lens. Unless you're planning on full frame of course...

Jan

Ps: Tom...I will read and reply to your PM the second after I push the "Post" button []
    </div>

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky
    Wow 2 days...you're one patient guy

Sorry didn't mean to be pushy. Thanks for the response everyone. [] There is a method to my madness. Since I often feel two dimensional with my shooting (weddings and hockey) and see some of the creative things other people do, I feel the need to push my self a bit. 95% of wedding shots are the static ones that everyone wants, the other 5% I try to get more creative with. With hockey its pretty much stopping the action so parents can enjoy seeing their kid playing. And I'm just hoping something cool happens. But its not the NHL[]So getting a chance to try something new I was eager to get some feedback.

The one thing that disturbs me a bit though is the branch behind the haystacks exactly in the centre of the image.

Bugged me too but not as much as rolling those hay stacks would have.[]

Was it an intentional slow shot? Training steady hands?

No just a tough cat to capture. I was actually walking in the house with camera in hand when I saw him relaxing (rarely) at the top of the steps. So I crept up slowly and knowing he was in a dark spot did the best I could before he bolted. I was sitting on a lower step so I was able to rest my left elbow on the next higher step which help steady the shot. Free handed I doubt it would have turned out this sharp. Originally he was not centered but I cropped out a bad spot on the molding.

Only post processing I did on the cat was to remove color cast in PS. For the hay stacks I blued up the sky using a blue filter in PS and bumped the contrast a bit.

Your 17-55 f2.8 could make the same shot on your 7D.

Not sure about that one. FOV and aperture yes. 5D excels in low light conditions (that other 5% for weddings). I don't own a 7D so I would have to rely on those who do for their opinions.

Whew! That is my longest post to date. Good thing I am home under the weather today or I may not have been able to do it.

Thanks everyone, Tom