Thread: New ISO 12233 Chart for the new Sigma 50-500 mm APO DG OS HSM Lens?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New ISO 12233 Chart for the new Sigma 50-500 mm APO DG OS HSM Lens?

The ISO 12233 charts provide a good objective evaluation of optical quality of lenses. I am interested in the new version of Sigma 50-500 mm and would like to compare its optical quality with similar zooms from other brands. I wonder if there is any plan to redo the tests for the new Sigma 50-500 mm?

Re: New ISO 12233 Chart for the new Sigma 50-500 mm APO DG OS HSM Lens?

Thanks for the suggestion - I

i
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Thank Bryan.

I find your way of providing the comparison of the ISO charts innovative and very useful - it is the best as far as I concern to actual compare optical quality of lenses. Lens optical quality in practice are relative. E.g. I am evaluating the new Sigma 50-500mm and I want to find out how does it compare to the Nikon and Canon closest equivalents, and Sigma

Bryan

I feel that both the ISO and Flare charts are brilliant and I use them all the time. I attempted to get users on another forum to use these to compare lenses. Much to my surprise they would rather look at the end result, a picture taken by a lens owner, to determine which is the sharpest.

I look forward to the day when there are no Flat Earth societies, when there are no more conspiracy theory web sites and when Donald Trump realizes his hair looks stupid
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

Quote Originally Posted by Raid
    I attempted to get users on another forum to use these to compare lenses. Much to my surprise they would rather look at the end result, a picture taken by a lens owner, to determine which is the sharpest.

I am too. Are they looking at 100% or downrezed images, if they are looking at the latter then they either don't know very much about photography or have a very one sided view. Also, alens owners pictures are OK as long as they are taken properly. But you cannot compare it to anything side by side so it's not very comprehensive or conclusive.

BTW Bryan,I also love your comparisons. They have settled so many debates on this forum! And there are many people here that have the same opnion on the same lens becuase your charts.

John.