Thread: Canon 580ex + 430ex + cybersyncs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Canon 580ex + 430ex + cybersyncs

Quick question for all of you Canon experts on this site!

If I trigger a 580ex with a CyberSync receiver, will that flash trigger a 430ex that is being used as a slave?

I'm assuming yes, but just wondering if there is any difference having the "master" off-camera.

Thanks for your help!

Re: Canon 580ex + 430ex + cybersyncs

Forgot to mention: I use the flashes in manual mode only, so I'm not worried about ETTL capabilities

Quote Originally Posted by johnker

Quick question for all of you Canon experts on this site!

If I trigger a 580ex with a CyberSync receiver, will that flash trigger a 430ex that is being used as a slave?

I'm assuming yes, but just wondering if there is any difference having the "master" off-camera.

Thanks for your help!
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

No, a Cybersync triggered Canon 580EX will not cause a Canon 430EX in slave mode to fire. You would need another Cybersync reciever for the second flash (or else an optical slave may work under certain circumstnaces).

hmm, interesting,

i have 3 receivers so I'm covered, would have been nice not to have to set up the extra receiver

picking up a few more flash guns, and debating on whether is worth it to me to buy 1 580ex ii or 2 430ex ii. The power difference isn't really a factor, so it looks like i'll be grabbing some 430ex's then

thank you sean

Quote Originally Posted by johnker
    so it looks like i'll be grabbing some 430ex's then

If you are using cybersyncs and want extra flashes for off camera, you don't need to pay the premium for canon/ttl flashes. I know from Sean's flickr feed that he uses vivitar 285's (yes, I'm a stalker [:P], I picked up some cybersyncs b/c of his flickr...good choice []), and I've heard from strobist.blogspot.com thatLumoPro LP120's are good too (possible better? I haven't tried either).

The point being, you don't need TTL flashes when using cybersyncs, because cybersyncs only fire flashes in manual mode anyways. So really, any decent quality/powered flash with a PC or 1/4 port would work. No reason to pay $250 when you can pay $100 for the same functionality,especiallyif you already have a 580exii to use on camera if need be.

The last three flashes I picked up were some discontinued Quantaray models for about $30 each. While they aren't as powerful asthe 430EX, they work very well and even have more bells and whistles than the Vivitar 285HV (they go the full range from 1/1 to 1/64 and also have a built-in optical slave).

For instance, I used a 580EX at 1/16 (diffused by a beauty dish) as the mainlight and one of those Quantaray flashes at 1/64 power (diffused by a 15" softbox)for fill light on this shot.