Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Converting from RAW to JPG

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Converting from RAW to JPG

I shot almost exclusively in RAW and the images are (when I
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

Re: Converting from RAW to JPG

Perhaps it
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

The ACR(adobe camera raw) converter in PSE is the same engine as with CS5 but with less features I am told. I used PSE for a couple of years before upgrading to CS5. I usually sharpen in ACR before downsizing jpeg for web viewing. I do not have any issues with what you are describing. My only suggestion is a question. After downsizing are you viewing a greater than 100%. That will cause the image to appear soft.

Mark
    Mark

Could you post two screenshots? One showing the image sharp (in raw) and soft (after JPEG). It could be related to the view settings of the app.

try double checking your options when converting to jpegs, sharpening, max quality, and stuff like that. i use light room when developing and it works awesome.

Sorry to take so long to respond, have been trying to work out the best way of providing the files, most sites don

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

Raid,

When trying to view your links I get a "Error - 404: File not found". Doesn
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Well I know this site is a pain (pop-ups and countdown timers) but it

Tara Moss

OK, now that I've had a chance to look at your images, I think I can see what's going on here.

First of all, let me say that everyone has their own taste and preferences when it comes to images. One man's garbage is another man's treasure. In the case of this image, what I consider treasure, you consider garbage, and vice-versa. But maybe I can still help you get the results you want.

To me, the original JPEG is plenty sharp. Too sharp, in fact -- to my eye, the sharpness is not actually a ugly artifact called aliasing. But to you it's not sharp enough (which is fine, of course -- we just have different taste). The reason that the original raw file looks sharp to you is because Adobe uses a really fast, low-quality resize algorithm to show a preview of the file. This fast algorithm has a side effect of causing lots of aliasing artifacts (which are perceived by many as "sharpness"). But when resizing to make the actual JPEG file (and not just an on-screen preview), adobe uses a slower, higher-quality algorithm that has fewer artifacts (though still too many in my opinion). That is why it does not look sharp to you any more.

The only real solution I know of is to export a full-size JPEG or TIFF (full 8 MP), then find another program that does resizing in a way that is more inline with your tastes. (Any that have a "nearest neighbor" or "point sampling" algorithm would do it.) One alternative would be to just add sharpening after resizing, as you have been doing, but the results are not exactly the same.

First of all thank you for taking the time to help me with this.

Neuroanatomist

As I understand it you cannot post files larger than 4MB means that CR2(7MB) and TIFF(23MB) files cannot be posted. As I wanted to be able to provide this type of file as well I went to the annoying option.

Tkerr

As dropbox (like some others) wants to install software, I was a little worried that it this would look like a spam post.

DLS/Daniel

Now if I look at some of the images on this site and other sites, I

Tara Moss