Thread: Photographing Bioluminescence

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Photographing Bioluminescence

I just got a call from an ad agency asking me if I could shoot kayakers going down a canal and capture thebioluminescent trail around/behind them.

Anyone done this before? Any suggestions (Daniel)?

Shooting 5Dmk2, have all the 2.8 zooms, 24 1.4L and 50 1.4.

Re: Photographing Bioluminescence

Wow, that does sound challenging. I'm thinking a split ND filter might help, as you're going to have to use a relatively long shutter speed to really capture the bioluminescent trail. Also possibly a gridded(or maybe barn-doored or simply flagged) off-camera flash set to rear-curtain sync to capture the kayakers but control the light-spillage elsewhere. Else, consider a bracketed shot and combining in post (if you're shooting from behind the kayakers, especially).

I look forward to seeing the other suggestions...

That does sound challenging. But challenges are fun[]

That could be it...

Sean, you inspired me with the bracketed-exposure idea. Why don't you run two exposures - One using a few lights (flash, whatever) to get the kayakers exposed properly, and one with a longer exposure (10, 20, 30 sec(?)) to get the bioluminescence. Then merge the exposures in Photoshop or Photomatix as an HDR.

This is a really rough idea, but maybe it could help you out.

- Alex

Thanks Sean.

So far I'm planning on gridding an off-camera 580II or 2 and adding a gel to match glow. Rear shutter definitely.

It will be a show up and figure it out quick shoot. I'm hoping to hear from the AD shortly so I can determine the shot (wide/tight) he/she is envisioning.I'm not sure if they want to capture the trail or just the glow around them.I have no idea what the terrain is throwing at me.