Thread: Credentials.?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Credentials.?

This is a big one guys, and your opinion is very much appreciated.

Should I enroll in photography school or spend that tuition money on gear and just go at it?

The school is western academy of photography. Course starts sep-aug. upon graduation

a diploma is issued (equivalent to a 2 year course).

Main question, do you think its worth $10,000?

Do photographers need a credential as a foundation to get buisness?

anyone a pro/semi pro photographer on this forum that could sorta mentor

a little bit of which way to go about it?

Re: Credentials.?

10,000 dollars is a lot of money. That could be used for a lot of nice gear which you will have to end up buying if you become a photographer. One story that I have goes like this; I went to AutoCad school years ago where I spent 4,000 dollars to take the class everyday for a few months. Once I got out I knew the program but the only jobs that I could land paid 10 dollars an hour. To say the least it did not work out where my 4 grand was a total write off . Wish I would have bought a nice camera body with that money. I guess what I'm trying to say is nothing will guarantee you business except hard work and the need for professional photographers in your area. The bad thing about photography is the market is flooded with photographers, especially portrait and wedding, where everybody can now get their hands on decent gear at a realistic price. The thing that sets the gifted people apart for the wanabe's is your abilty to produce and do it on time every time. I learned the basics from reading a few good books where the rest came from practice and more practice. I say if you want to become a great photographer get a job at a busy newspaper because you will learn to shoot in the most difficult of situations plus you have to be a producer and not a talker.

One extra side note: the additional qualifications/school endorsement or what ever you call it could always be helpful where it would be one more thing that could help set you apart from the others. Just seems like a lot of money to spend on an endorsement where you may not see any benefits unless they help you land a great full time photography job of your dreams.

Good Luck....

While I can't comment of the financial side of things, I think an education in photography is one of the best things you can do in order to help find your specific style and experiment with new processes, ideas, and equipment. Personally, I"m really excited to start my BFA at parsons this fall.

You do not need credentials to be a professional photographer!!! I highly, highly, highly, suggest you save the $10,000 and put it toward gear. Read books, journals, editorials, magazines, take a weekend class here or there which many pros and university instructors offer; and mainly shoot, shoot, and shoot! take part time photography classes at a community college. I have many friends that are professional photogs from everything from action sports, to weddings, modeling, travel, and teach at the university level. Some have advanced degrees in photo and some don't. but each one agree that what matters most is building a portfolio, creating a unique style and getting out and making contacts.

I don't know what might be available in your area, but here in Dallas we have the Southwest Professional Photographers Associtaion that hosts conventions, publishes a magazine, conducts seminars and puts together competitions.

Every year, the PPA hosts a "Texas School" that runs about $500 and includes about 30 different potential courses.

I would highly recommend researching these type of opportunities. The cost is far lower thanthe tuition you mentioned and I think you canhone your skills quickly in these environments.

For sport shooters, the Peter Reed Miller (of SI fame) Sports Photography Workshop in the Denver area offers the chance to learn from one of the best sportsphotographersever. I think the cost is about 1/3 of what you mentioned...

Now a professional degree from a accredited 4 year college to something totally different. I don't think western academy of photography is a university. I never meant to say that education is a bad thing it just needs to be the proper eduction. I have my BFA and MA degrees from a state university where I also have HUGE school loan payments.

thanks for your thoughts guys.

I still dont know what route im gonna take, but its good to hear that there is'nt just one set way to move up and become a sought after photographer. Has anyone done the online diploma program from http://www.thephotographyinstitute.ca/index.cfm?code=GO&gclid=CKSU8sCfjqECFSJaiAod12 IZPQ

or something simiar? If so are they any good?

Seriously, I think it is best to avoid these online schools that offer diplomas. You would be better off taking photog classes at a community college and attending weekend seminars that established pros offer. And just read as much info and shoot to improve and expand everyday.

If you really want a degree, then attend a nationally accredited state college or university.