Thread: My 7d is messed up ...help please!!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My 7d is messed up ...help please!!!

Hopefully someone can give me some insight as to what is all of a sudden going on with my camera!

When I came home from work, first thing I did was my usual grab the camera and take the dogs out in the backyard & take some shots (just my unwind before cooking dinner routine).

Everything was working perfectly fine! Then when I came inside, I remembered that I had a RS-80N3 that I had mailed to me at work today that I had bought from an FM member. So, I tried it out and all was good but instantly when I unplugged it, I lost all capability of my back screen!!!! I can't view my menut or my camera settings! It's completely black, until I turn the camera off & then all I can see is the sensor cleaning notification before it shuts off.

It also looks like one of the prongs is bent now where the RS-80N3 plugs in. Could this be causing the problem? Also, when I turn the camera on know, the lens goes into this auto focus mode of trying to focus on its own when I don't even have the shutter pressed half-way.

Help, please! It is still covered under Best Buy extended warranty but if I send it in now ...I lose any chance of capturing fall colors, so timing isn't the best to be without a camera! I'm not even sure if whatever is wrong would be covered under warranty.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give!

Denise

UPDATE: I plug my camera into my computer to get the pictures off the card and now I cannot even do that! The camera is not reading the card ...I think itthinks I want to take a picture because I could hear the lens focus on its own!!! This is crazy!

Re: My 7d is messed up ...help please!!!

Is the pin still bent and touching the case?

Even if it
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Denise

Switch lenses? Do you have a canon lens on the camera?

Try taking the lens off and turn it on?

If you ever get it back where you can get on the screen, reset all settings to default and reload firmware.

If it starts working properly, get a different quick release since that one appears to be bad. Was that one used?

Good Luck

The prong if it is touching one of the others, or it is touching the side could definitely cause a short and may be doing this.

just a thing with switching lenses though:

If my theory of it being in constant
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Dr....I didn't say turn the camera off...but yes .....do

I thought that one would be obvious but maybe not.

I guess we could check the theory of a short out by sticking a pin in my camera and bridging it to see what happens....but I think I will pass on that test

I turned it on without a lens attached & I changed lenses and still had the same problem.

UPDATE AGAIN: I was able to bend the one prong back and turned on my camera and all is fine! WHEW!!!!

My daughter made sure the prong is straight up (she has better eyes than me) and she plugged in the quick realease back in and it went in fine and worked fine! Looks like it was user error! I swear if I didn

I would have recommended bending the prong back straight, but if it had broke off I would have had to delete all my posts and deny I was ever here..

Good Job Denise

If the N3 connector is three pins then it may very well be more than a switch (closing a circuit, either ground or positive voltage to another leg). It may be a two position switch. If you are VERY confident that you could straighten the bent pin yourself then I would first remove the battery. If your not sure then I would have a Pro fix it.

Check your remote release. The female receptacle may be deformed from being compressed by something. If so this will happen again. I believe the connector is keyed so you couldn
    Brett

Well, it certainly sounds like the prong was shorted out. The remote RS 80N3 has two settings one is to press the button straight down and simulate the shutter button press and the other function is too press the button in and slide it forward toward where the wire attaches to the switch. This sliding button press will hold the shutter button open and lock it open until you release it (so that you don't have to hold the button in manually for a long period of time) while you are in bulb mode.

I was going to say to try and stick a piece of paper in between the prongs so that they wouldn't touch (or short out) and then use a toothpick to try and bend the prong back, but glad to hear that you fixed your problem. I was testing mine out to replicate your problem by using the sliding remote button press, and when the shutter is left open in bulb mode the back LCD screen does go black.

Rich