Thread: Strange things on the walls of my city!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Strange things on the walls of my city!

just wanted to share some weirdness I found in new york city. It's one of the first from my brand new Canon 100mm macro. I already love this lens and I haven't even tried macro shots yet.

I'm aware this image is terrible from a tech perspective. Shooting outdoors in the mid-afternoon sun will do that (!), but I like the expressions on these figures on the building.

Clarity / Sharpness tweak (20 and 50 respectively) in ACR, 100% center crop in Photoshop.

From street level, objects 5 stories up. 100mm macro, 40D, f/8 @ 1/100 ISO100 hand held.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.29.05/_5F00_MG_5F00_0119_5F00_grgyls.jpg[/img]

Re: Strange things on the walls of my city!

okay. well I thought they were strange anyway...!

Very strange indeed...............Any idea what period the building is?

I can only make an educated guess, and going by the rest of the neighborhood - all early 20th century and mid 19th - very few post WWII. This is Washington Heights in upper Manhattan - just south of the George Wash Bridge. But of course terra cotta is found all over NYC.

One of these days I'll shoot the building in a better light, and I'll see what else I can find out. I imagine it's a Landmarked building, which basically means the facade can't be changed in any meaningful way.

I'm sure one day someone will explain to me why architects of old adorned these structures with scary little people, gargoles, and such.

Very Strange..........Indeed..[]

Freaky indeed, is it a library or a bathroom block ha ha ha, well it is different.