Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon 40D blurry images

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Canon 40D blurry images

<div><span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: x-small;"]I received my 40D back from Canon service center hoping they can fix the soft or blurry images I've been experiencing. They did a firmware upgrade and some "tweaking" but the images don't look any better. Anyone else having problems with this camera? I'm using the EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS USMlens. One thing I did notice, the images, if I focus at 70mm, look noticibly worse than if I focus at 200mm then zoom down to 70mm, while still holding the button half-way down, then snap the picture. Do I need to always focus at 200mm then recompose my picture like this everytime? I've tried using the tripod w/o the IS enabled. It's not a camera shake issue. I can see exactly what I focused onbut it doesn't look sharp.</div>
    <div><span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: x-small;"]John</div>

Re: Canon 40D blurry images

Let me ask the obvious question - do you see the blurriness with other lenses? If it's just with the70-200 f2.8 L IS, the problem may be the lens, not the body. The fact that you get variable results with the same lens also suggests it might be the lens.

Let me ask the second obvious question, what do you have noise reduction set to, either in the camera or in DPP. If it's being applied automatically, it will make shots looks soft

I'm not sure, right now, what the NR is set to. I don't have my camera in front of me at the moment. Thanks for the tip. I'll try it as soon as I can.

I should have stated my other lens as well: EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS USM. Same results. I've tried various combinations of f/stops &amp; aperatures, changed the sharpness control under the menu settings, used one focusing point instead of multiple focusing points throughout the field of view, manual focus. Let me ask the same question but in a different form: If I focus in on a still subject (let's say 30 feet away)at 70mm, hold that focus and zoom in to 200mm, shouldn't the image "sharpness" be the same? Mine image really looks blurry now. So as a "fix" I zoom in at my subject at 200mm and focus for all my shots and then compose my picture at a different zoom length. I shouldn't have to do this with this level of camera/lenses.

Its happened to me , Like you i also send it back to be repaired, but the same result came in, right now i can only rely on Photoshop to sharpen all my shoot, already make the action for the ps, so every time i transfer my pic,. just run the automate batch action to sharpen all my photo, but sometimes if the pic taken with low light,. some noise appear.. still don't know it only happen to us or other.

Check pixel-peepersto see how your images compare to others with the same gear. You can search by lens or camera (unfortunately not for a body/lens combo). For lenses you can limit to certain focal lengths, fstops, and image sizes, allowing you to check for images shot with the same configuration as your own to help do a more direct comparison.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

hm,.. yeah.. i never did that,.. but still i cannot claim it anyway,.. already send it to the dealer n return back to me so... i just have to get use to it n with little touch with Adobe Ps, i already satisfied with all my pic. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John Larsen
    One thing I did notice, the images, if I focus at 70mm, look noticibly worse than if I focus at 200mm then zoom down to 70mm, while still holding the button half-way down, then snap the picture.

Your autofocus is not sufficiently accurate. I suggest calibrating your 40D using the microadjust feature. It only has one "per body" setting, rather than a setting for each lens (like the 50D). Of course, manual focus with liveview is another option.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning
    I suggest calibrating your 40D using the microadjust feature. It only has one "per body" setting, rather than a setting for each lens (like the 50D). Of course, manual focus with liveview is another option.

Daniel,

How do you do this on the 40D? I can't find the function in-camera to microadjust. Is it something in DPP?

Thanks mate.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30