Thread: What to get next?!?!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What to get next?!?!

Hello all! I'd love to get the 580ex II speedlight along with the 70-200mm f/4 (no IS) lens. but my wife and I just bought a new laptop and i'd like to save $ and decide on one. although, the canon rebates are really tempting me to get both!

my current gear list: 7d, 16-35mm, 50mm 1.4 and 85mm 1.8. i don't have the nice telephoto zoom but I have found myself possibly needing the speedlight a little more. I love to do portraits and landscapes.

my thoughts are to get the speedlight and save up for the 70-200 2.8 a year or so down the line.

any thoughts?

Re: What to get next?!?!

I'd get the speedlight and a small light stand set up. Portraits get a lot better with a flash, i'd also get a light stand, and set up to use off camera flash as well. Save up for the 70-200 2.8

I've spent about $400 on a light setup, with 2 Vivitar 285HV, 2 light stands, 2 umbrellas, and Cactus V4 wireless triggers. It's great capturing the moments with great lenses, but I also found that with off camera lighting it opens up a whole new world. Instead of capturing moments, you get to create your own with artificial lighting. It's quite addicting actually []

I actually also have the 70-200mm f/4L non IS coming in the mail today. I don't regret getting the light setup first at all []

I'd agree with the other guys. If you like portrait work then a speedlight is a great accessory to have.

Light stands are really cheap (3m air cushioned stands can go for as little as $40-$50) and umbrellas (also very cheap) are a great way to start off and get to learn the basics. I don't own the 7D so I'm not sure how the flash trigger works but I assume it works off the on-camera flash, triggering the speedlight. I'd suggest a wireless/ radio trigger for the speedlight. I did a bit of a writeup on the Yongno RF-602 ( http://community.the-digital-picture.com/forums/p/3441/28509.aspx#28509) triggers that you might be interested in. I still use these by the way and have had no issues at all.

Hope this helps, Ben
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

I own a 7D, and I've only once used the pop-up to control an off-camera flash (580EX). I use Cybersyncs 99.9% of the time. It's just plain easier to deal with (even though it involves more walking around to manually adjust flash output).

Another point I just thought of too, I found the 70-200mm range far too long for portrait work on a crop body.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30