Thread: Eneloop Batteries

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Eneloop Batteries

I was just wondering how long do Eneloop batteries usually last? I noticed mine are not holding a charge anywhere near as long as they used to.

Denise

Re: Eneloop Batteries

They should last for at least 1000 charge cycles, based on the specification. The longest I've had a set is a little over 1.5 years, and they're doing fine. But, an afternoon in a hot car can significantly shorten their lifespan.

Enloops rock. Best rechargeble batteries you can get!

Has anyone done "scientific" comparisons to the Duracell Pre-Charge? My "unscientific" observations are that the Duracell's seem to have substantially more flash firings and have a longer life span.

The Energizer Pre-Charge are not worth the effort IMO.

I love my Eneloop rechargeable batteries, but I do notice that they don't last as long as regular alkaline batteries. It sure does beat having to buy new batteries all the time though!

It's hard to say how long the Eneloops will last though, since it really depends on the device they're in. They last quite a while in my wireless mouse, but I can use up a couple sets in a flash after an afternoon of shooting.

Has the change in their life been noticeably worse in the same device?
    - Trowski

Quote Originally Posted by Trowski
    I love my Eneloop rechargeable batteries, but I do notice that they don't last as long as regular alkaline batteries.

Hi TROWSKI,

When you say Eneloop batteries are you refering to the 'Low Self Discharge' batteries manurfactured by Sanyo? If you are, it's my understanding that these batteries don't quite have the same milliamp hour rating held by other batteries. I've recently bought some LSD batteries from a different manurfacturer and found this to be so. I thought I'd give LSD batteries a go because my usual NiMH batteries were failing. The NiMH batteries are great while you keep using them but if they sit on the shelf for a few months they're stuffed. They don't tell you that part in the advertising. Yes the batteries might be good for 1000 charges but you have to keep using and charging them, stop this cycle and you are up for new batteries. LSD will hopefully avoid this problem because they can reportedly sit on the shelf for over a year and still maintain 70-85% charge and work just as well as they did the last time they were used. Down side of course is the cost.

Why my batteries sit on the shelf for months - well that's another story...

I don't do a lot of flash work but I do use these batteries in my 30D battery grip. At this stage I'm not happy with their performance. The regular Lithium Ion batteries still seem to out perform the AA's in my experience. They charge quicker and last much longer. For the avid Canon flash user it would be nice to have a battery compartment that could accept AA's or Canon Li Ion batteries. This would be a nice feature allowing your camera and flash to use the same batteries. Probably lighter too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_self-discharge_NiMH_battery