Thread: Reviews of Discontinued Equipment and Lenses

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Reviews of Discontinued Equipment and Lenses

Let me join the chorus of those who have used this site for a long time. Bryan - yours is now and always has been one of the most professional photography sites on the web.

May I suggest something be added back to your reviews. For awhile, when a new model camera or lens came out that replaced a previous version, you kept the reviews of the older model on the site. May I suggest you keep those old reviews posted. Many people buy used equipment and would find your reviews helpful. In my case, I'd like to read your review of the older 24 f1.4 L lens.

Thanx again for a great site!

Doug

Re: Reviews of Discontinued Equipment and Lenses

I like this suggestion as well.

I would like to see some discontinued but being so crazily worshipped lenses, i.e. 50 f/1.0L, 200 f/1.8L. I remember I have seen the 200 1.8 one, but is it possible to have a section that says "Archived/Discontinued Models"?

The old reviews are still there, you have to click the "canon lens" and "canon zoom lens" and "canon dslr cameras" category links and scroll down

Well, duh!

This senility thing is tough - yes, the reviews are still there. I had looked all over the main menu page, didn't find it, and assumerd they were gone.

Thanx -

Doug

They are still there, but I do want to chime in a bit. I usually go to the 'main' page and scroll down to select the review I'm looking for in the list view towards the bottom (it covers a lot of turf, so I can't say "it's at the bottom).

Bryan, could you please not swap out reviews for the new model until at least the new model is actually purchaseable? I often get asked to help friends, and as much as I can maintain a good memory of lens performance, I don't try to keep up with lens price. I think the Speedlite 430EX II review is my prime example of this - it replaced the Speedlite 430EX rather quickly in list view, but for a while wasn't even pre-orderable.

Alternatively, could you put a prominent link towards the top to help us jump to the predecessor's review?
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Obviously, you found the "discontinued" sections.

When a new lens or camera is introduced, I have been moving (or removing) the old model from the current lists. My intent was to make it clear that the camera/lens/flash/... you were considering was being replaced - to prevent buyers remorse. It is not a problem to keep the old model in the current lists for a period of time though.

Thanks again.