Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the Horse Dead Yet?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Is the Horse Dead Yet?

Sorry to be the one to bring this up again but, the money is available and burning a hole in my pocket.

I have a 7D and 70-200 f/4 non IS with a 1.4 extender. I shoot outdoors sports frequently and indoors during the winter as well as the occasional indoors event. I am having to bump up the ISO to 800 now to get decent shutter speeds with the extender. The daylight is getting shorter by the day and I know this will get worse. I have a couple of possible upgrades in mind but, have read so many forum discussions that my head is spinning. I do love the size/weight of my 70-200 but, I have the 24-70 f/2.8 and that weight doesn
    Brett

Re: Is the Horse Dead Yet?

I think my original advice was a 70-200 f2.8 non IS with a monopod, if I remember correctly. And, looking over your choices, it

I think my 100-400mm would make a great safari lens!

Not that I am saying it would be the best choice, But why was the new 70-300mm F4-5.6L with IS not on the list. Not fast enough? I think the IS system would help a little withshutter speeds in low light compared to the non IS you are using now.

If shooting sports and complaining about the low light capability of f/4 I don

Of course, if he

Maybe you should look at a Sigma 120 - 400mm or Sigma 150 - 500mm. They make vey nice products and you get more focal length for the money, of course it isn

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

Of course, if he's using the extender with the 70-200mm f/2.8 L, he'd essentially have a 280mm f/4 lens on the long end. If he's using the 70-300 f/4-5.6, he'd be losing a stop of light at the comparable focal length when not using the extender.

This is true. I thinkasachoice for sports the 70-200m F2.8L would be best, I would prefer the IS version though.

The 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L is in the mix though. If it could be in the mix of possibles, it looked to me so could the 70-300mm. I think the compact 70-300mm might be a very good lens to take to Disneyland or on safari. Personally though, if I didn't have a suitable lens alreadyand were going on a real Safari that I had paid thousands of dollars to go on, I wouldn't take any of these lenses. I am thinking lensrental.com for that one.

HI Guys,

Thank you for your responses.

Is the weight of these lenses even a real issue?

Lets start from the top...

Sean that was your initial advice and I wanted to give you props for that. Sound Advice Sorry for the name misspell

HDNitehawk - The 70-300 L is too slow. I'm with Sean (Of course, if he's using the extender with the 70-200mm f/2.8 L, he'd essentially have a 280mm f/4 lens on the long end. If he's using the 70-300 f/4-5.6, he'd be losing a stop of light at the comparable focal length when not using the extender.) Without the extender I would have a 2.8 between 70-200 which the 70-300 L couldn't do. I do like the weather sealing and IS though.

John - I agree with you about not going lower than f/2.8, but you hear of the 70-200 f/4 Is being so highly regarded I thought is was worth throwing out there. I am considering the f/2.8 IS but am nervous about buying one used and haven't seen one on Canon's refurb. site forever. The 100-400 4-5.6 sounds good but the slow aperture doesn't. I could reach the same length with a 2x extender at the cost of some IQ and no Auto focus.

Joel - After reading Bryan's review of the 70-200 f/2.8 Sigma I wasn't too interested in them anymore. Although at photography-on-the.net/.../index.php they rave about the lens. Any contrary thoughts would be interesting.

I feel better about trying to land a 70-200 IS 1rst then non IS. Thanks for your thoughts,

Brett
    Brett

Denise,

If I go that route I would absolutely consider your lens. Great price!
    Brett