Thread: Displacement Map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Displacement Map

I stumbled across a photoshop tutorial on YouTube that I thought I'd share. I don't think it's anything I'd use professionally for anything, but it was tons of fun. Give it a shot if you get bored.

Personally, I had never used the "Displace" filter tool. Never even occurred to me to click on it. Basic idea is that it allows you to wrap a two dimensional graphic around a three dimensional object. Practical use could be putting a graphic on a photo of a shirt, having it wrap around the folds and wrinkles, creating the illusion that the image was on the shirt at the time the picture was taken.

My first attempt might have been a little too ambitious, but tons of fun anyway.

I'm hiding.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p648136221-4.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	180.6 KB 
ID:	992

The link to the tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHNO4...eature=related
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

That's fantastic. Coincidentally enough, I needed something just like this last week but didn't realize there was a [relatively] easy way of doing it. Hmph.

That's pretty cool!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    That's fantastic. Coincidentally enough, I needed something just like this last week but didn't realize there was a [relatively] easy way of doing it. Hmph.
    It reminded me about your DIY cookie projector

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky View Post
    That's pretty cool!

It reminded me about your DIY cookie projector
    Yeah, and this way looks easier. :-)

I can see your point hehe

Ha! So it goes. Next time you'll know?
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Yep. I've even left PS and the tutorial open on my desktop to give it a try once I have some free time. ;-)