Thread: Kakadu and Litchfield Parks, Northern Territory Australia

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Kakadu and Litchfield Parks, Northern Territory Australia

I had the opportunity to spend a few days in the "top end" and naturally took my camera. After all what does a photographer do on holidays? Tucks the camera under the arm and takes photos.

Kakadu is a World Heritage Area. It is also where the "outback" scenes for Crocodile Dundee were filmed. Litchfield is a smaller park, closer to Darwin. (Kakadu is the size of a small country).

Spectacular country and even though these are little more than "holdiay snaps" I thought them worth a look. I took the 1D Mk II rather than a lighter camera because I thought the weather sealing might be an advantage. (Not really as it turned out).

There are more photos, if interested, in the Sample Gallery on the website - www.ofarrell.com.au - Choose "Your photo gallery" and login with username "sample" and password "gallery"

Late afternoon from the top of Ubirr rock

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.86/Ubirr_5F00_01.jpg[/img]

The "Spectacular Jumping Crocodiles" and they really do get out of the water - almost to the back feet - and so fast. Very impressive.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.86/Jumping_2D00_Crocs_5F00_16.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.86/Jumping_2D00_Crocs_5F00_30.jpg[/img]

Gunlom Falls. Swimming is not recommended due to the risk of crocodiles. However swimming is possible (and terrific) in the rock pools at the top of the falls, where the crocs can't reach.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.86/Gunlom_5F00_02.jpg[/img]

Florence Falls. Swimming here is safe and extremely pleasant. (Remember June down-under is the middle of winter and you certainly would not be swimming in Sydney).

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.86/Litchfield_5F00_64.jpg[/img]

Our daughter is working in Darwin this year and we went up principally to visit her. Ended up very reluctant to leave.

Re: Kakadu and Litchfield Parks, Northern Territory Australia

Very impressive scenery! I never knew those crocs could breach themselves out of the water like that. Post more shots when you get the chance!

Re: Kakadu and Litchfield Parks, Northern Territory Australia

Wow: why is the water that green? It looks like something from another planet LOL
    That second croc upright is freaky! I love it!