Thread: 5D II Errors

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

5D II Errors

Hi all,

Am in the market for a 5D II and have been reading up on various error messages that "seem" common. Particularly "Err30" and "Err20". Got me a bit worried. How concerned should I be about purchasing the 5D II given these problems? Were the problems related to firmware editions mostly? Comments, guidance? Thanks a bunch.

Damian

Re: 5D II Errors

I don

I love my 5DII. The image quality is outstanding, which I'm sure you've read here and in other forums. I've never had any problems with it. Those problems may "seem" common, since it iscommon for people to complain when they do have a problem and say nothing when everything is going well. What's sad is people who don't even own the camera then become convinced that most or all of them have some problem. Seems like this happens with just about any popular product, from cameras to phones.

That being said, it does seem like some of the first 5DIIs Canon made had some issues (which probably weren't common or widespread), but they seem to have been straightened out. Besides, if you buy one and it does have something wrong with it, any reputable dealer will immediately exchange it.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning
    What you *really* need to worry about is infectious disease -- the 5D2 is known to cause L fever. [img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]

This would probably be your biggest concern with the 5DII. I was starting to come down L fever when I got the 7D, and I caught a bad case after the 5DII... and as far as I know there isn't a cure.

- Aaron
    - Trowski

The only cure to L fever is to succumb to it.

L-fever seems most closely analogous to cancer - once you own every lens with a red ring, you have what oncologists call 'stable disease'. Release of a new L lens results in an immediate relapse.

Back on topic, personally I had never even heard of this 'common problem' before reading this thread, and certainly have not experienced it since getting my 5DII.

Yes, and treating it costs about as much :P But on the plus side, treatment is really, REALLY FUN.