Thread: Anyone use the Canon Transmitter ST-E2

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Anyone use the Canon Transmitter ST-E2

Hello,

I would like to get the flash off the camera to expand my opportunities. I have never used off camera flash before and I would like to know how wellthe Canon equipment works. I have read that the Canon Transmitter works with inferred light signals and understand that they are somewhat limited and can be "confused" sometimes and that there distance is limited.

Also,will the TTL system still work?

I have a 30D and 1 580 EX version 1 and will possibly add another flash.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Tank

Re: Anyone use the Canon Transmitter ST-E2

I'm assuming you've read the Canon Speedlite Transmitter ST-E2 Review. I've got an ST-E2 and two 430EXs and have been having a blast. Yes, TTL still works. Being I've only used it indoors I can't comment on outdoor use, but I've had no problems at all.
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

Thank you

In the case of big rooms or outdoors, always have the body of the flash pointed in the camera's general direction and use the swivel to point the head in the subjects direction. I usually have good success outdoors and big rooms. I even put mine inside a soft box and fire 99% of the time. If I do have issues it is usually low battery power in the flashes themselves.

I own one and use it all the time. But it does have limitations. Large rooms and outdoors can be troublesome. Overall it does what it says it will do. But if you will be using it outdoors I'd recommend saving your money and going with PocketWizards.

Quote Originally Posted by markcoons
    I'd recommend saving your money and going with PocketWizards.

(I hope the original poster doesn't mind me asking this...) I was actually looking into getting PWs and maybe one more flash (I have a 40D / 580EX II combo). Will sticking to the "original" PW Plus II enough? Or is it worth considering their new products (MiniTT1 / FlexTT5)?

Tony

If you use the original PW's then you will be using them to shoot in manual but if you think you will want/need eTTL then get the newer ones.

Quote Originally Posted by markcoons
    If you use the original PW's then you will be using them to shoot in manual but if you think you will want/need eTTL then get the newer ones.

Ah, thanks for this. I hadn't realized the old didn't do eTTL.

Tony

It's not necessarily a bad thing Tony. I will use eithermanual flash or eTTL based on the situation, so it's nice to have options. When I want to shoot eTTL it is a lot easier to just slap the the ST-E2 on the camera. To shoot manual takes a little more setup time.

I use manual flash when doing portraiture in a static (I can't really call it a studio setting) setting or when I'm shooting outdoors. When I do product photography or an event that just needs a little off camera flash I use the ST-E2.

The problem with PW's is it gets kind of pricey, as you need several of them. I most generally use at least 2 flashes so that means I am using 3 PW's.

Hope this helps.

Mark